Kia Optima Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro PHEV
149 Posts
Well after all I ordered projector door lights from ebay. They were about 28 USD so nothing heavy.
I see now it's even cheaper.

2 Laser LED Step Door Courtesy Projector Lights for Kia Optima K5 09 2014 Cerato | eBay

I know these projector lights are not everyone's cup of tea but personally I like them.
Since I do have the lights there by default, I didn't have to solder or tap wires, it was really just plug and play. Once I removed the two screws holding the enclosure I pushed it inwards from outside, thus it popped out of its place easily. Removed the original bulb and plugged the connector hanging from the new lamp to the bulb's place. Nothing else had to be done, just reassembling everything in reverse order and job well done. One door took me around 20 minutes as I was working alone. But despite that this was my very first project on the doors (had never disassembled them before), I was able to open the door within like 1-2 minutes. This gave me nice confidence so some more light jobs will come my way, I am sure.
I have to take still nightshots but as we have brightness as **** in Finland at this point of the year, it will be difficult. :D
The projector light is pretty strong but the two little leds on the side are not so much. Luckily at work we work with leds, so I might as well change them to some more powerful ones.
The last picture is taken in our blackroom lab so the stuff really does its job.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
33 Posts
Since I'm new to the forum I'm just coming across this. I'd first like to say excellant info from y'all and a great DIY from John. I have reflectors and not completely sure i'm going to go for this. I like the look of the projector LED also and if I had lights there already it would be done.

·
Registered
2013 KIA 2013 Kia Optima
7 Posts
Just jumping on the bandwagon with this mod. I have the illuminated sill plates on their way from Korea but got the LED laser/ghost projectors in Friday and decided they would share the same wiring connections so I went ahead and did the door courtesy lights. 2015-10-18 19.16.57.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
So I been working on this mod on and off and I finished the ds without any issues, I finally was able to finish the ps and as mentioned in an earlier post I am having the same issue with the light being dim. I tapped into the ground from the doorswitch and I got the power from the pink/black wire from the window/lock switch. I left it as is for now but I don't like that one door is brighter than the other. It's Gona bug me until I can get it fixed lol. Any ideas what might be the issue here? I did notice that when use the lock switch on the door the light turns off until I let go of the switch..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
So I been working on this mod on and off and I finished the ds without any issues, I finally was able to finish the ps and as mentioned in an earlier post I am having the same issue with the light being dim. I tapped into the ground from the doorswitch and I got the power from the pink/black wire from the window/lock switch. I left it as is for now but I don't like that one door is brighter than the other. It's Gona bug me until I can get it fixed lol. Any ideas what might be the issue here? I did notice that when use the lock switch on the door the light turns off until I let go of the switch..

My set up are different than yours and mine is connected to the dome light because I wanted to have that fade. Have you try that blue wire around the harness? That's the same wire that most of us used to upgrade our door mood light, I have connected a few wires to that blue wire and it works fine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My set up are different than yours and mine is connected to the dome light because I wanted to have that fade. Have you try that blue wire around the harness? That's the same wire that most of us used to upgrade our door mood light, I have connected a few wires to that blue wire and it works fine.

I haven't tried the blue wire, i will give that a shot and see if it corrects the issue. The blue wire is a constant power?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I haven't tried the blue wire, i will give that a shot and see if it corrects the issue. The blue wire is a constant power?

Actually it's only on when the parking light are on, it's the same wire we used for door catch and mood lighting which is only on when parking light are on. Hopefully that will fix your issue. GL.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
What is confusing? It's pretty well detailed step-by-step. You can tap both wires from the door sill but there is no reason to run two wires through the door to the car just to get a positive wire.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts