Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,898 Posts
Eric -

Not too sure on your set-up and where you are tapping into. Is it possible the door sill plates (where you are tapping into) is getting less than 12V? I doubt your wire run would cause any issue, too short for the low amp draw of LEDs to be of any significance.
This is an important question, and something I'd LOVE to be able to learn how to do, especially since I have a multimeter but no clue how to use it. If my original plan to run both my door reflector and LED door panel strip to the OEM door sill end up being too dull, that's concerning.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,437 Posts
Drivers side was easy. Positive went to fuel door wire since thats constant. Negative I ran to door switch like stated already. Passenger side I ran both to the K5 LED door sills which I wired in. Heres the issue. Drivers side is super bright and looks awesome. Passenger side is super dim. Could it be the length of wire or bad led plate? I tried several spots for the positive but no luck and even switched the plug on the led plate around and still the same. Any ideas from any one is appreciated.
@Eric - driver side is easy as you can tap the fuel door wire for your positive as you stated. HOWEVER, the passenger side is equally as easy as there is a constant 12v inside the door as well. You'd need a multi meter but its there, trust me. The only wires I ran were the black wires (negative), one for each door, and tapped those at the door switch itself. Good luck.

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
@Eric - driver side is easy as you can tap the fuel door wire for your positive as you stated. HOWEVER, the passenger side is equally as easy as there is a constant 12v inside the door as well. You'd need a multi meter but its there, trust me. The only wires I ran were the black wires (negative), one for each door, and tapped those at the door switch itself. Good luck.
Thanks Jason. Didn't think there was a constant in passenger door. Guess I will look for it today. Serves me right though for not checking the LED plates first to rule out an issue with them or if its my wiring. Well at least its cloudy here today. LOL

Eric

·
Registered
2014 Kia Cadenza
141 Posts
This is an important question, and something I'd LOVE to be able to learn how to do, especially since I have a multimeter but no clue how to use it. If my original plan to run both my door reflector and LED door panel strip to the OEM door sill end up being too dull, that's concerning.
Multimeter is too easy. If your multimeter has a selector switch, make sure it's on the DC setting. Then place the black lead on a ground source (can be a metal bolt connected to the frame), and place the red lead on the bare wire you are testing. You're readout will tell you the volts.

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
YooShaw-Just saw your post. Passenger is tapped into the same wire as passenger LED door sills, which I added btw, so not stock. They light up fine of course. So maybe thats it and will try Jasons suggestion of finding a constant in the passenger door.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Cadenza
141 Posts
Maybe test out the LEDs with a known source to make sure they are operating right. Got a spare battery you can hook to it to test?

·
Registered
'14 Optima SXL
167 Posts
I already swapped both front door reflectors to white/clear and put in the light boards and polyfill, as well as installed the LED strips on all four door panel undersides.
You better post pictures of how things look, especially at night, with the white/clear reflectors :)

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,437 Posts
Not a 12 volt one. I just have to bite the bullet and remove the led which shouldn't take long but I hate redoing mods. LOL
You got a power drill, right? Pull the battery and use that to test led's. It's the same as if it was hooked to a car battery only smaller and easier! :D

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,898 Posts
You better post pictures of how things look, especially at night, with the white/clear reflectors :)
I will. Everything is "installed" and in place, I just need to do wiring now for power.

Just trying to figure out if wiring the reflectors and LED strip (on the door) to the door sill will give enough power.

Eric - do you possibly have a bad ground on the PS reflector wire?

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
I will. Everything is "installed" and in place, I just need to do wiring now for power.

Just trying to figure out if wiring the reflectors and LED strip (on the door) to the door sill will give enough power.

Eric - do you possibly have a bad ground on the PS reflector wire?
I don't think so because if I hit the door switch, the led shuts off like it should. Its just super dim when on. If I am going to take everything off and start over I also might just resolder the connection of the extra wire to the socket.

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Real quick pic of my drivers side door corner light. I kept the red reflectors and went with the red leds. Pic isn't the best.

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,898 Posts
Yeah, I say you de-solder just the PS and touch direct to the car battery. See if it's still dim. When you gonna post that vid you said you made?

---------- Post added 09-19-2014 at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-18-2014 at 10:09 PM ----------

What does the constant 12v wire in the PS door run power to? Did you do this? Happen to recall which wire it is? I'd also like to tap power within the panels themselves, and just run a single (-) wire to each door sill.

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts

What does the constant 12v wire in the PS door run power to? Did you do this? Happen to recall which wire it is? I'd also like to tap power within the panels themselves, and just run a single (-) wire to each door sill.
I will try and work on this today but I am at work and just depends when my chief comes down. LOL. Hopefully I can work on this in afternoon. I have no idea how to upload on you tube. LOL

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Ok so I was having some issues with passenger side and I figured it out. All without a multimeter and prob a whole bunch of luck but whatever, they work now. LOL

On passenger side I ran the negative wire all the way to the door switch because tapping it into the negative wire on my door sills was not working. The positive wire, and here is where the luck came in, I tapped into the plug on the door that handles the window and lock switches. The wire I tapped into is a pink wire with black stripe on it. Now both lights work. Pics to follow in a bit. Thanks for everyones help.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,437 Posts
I think you got it. I'd have to pull off my door to see, but yes, you need to tap into the plug on the door that handles the window and lock switches. One of those will do what you need.

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,898 Posts
I have the DS all ripped apart right now. I have no idea how to get the wire from the door loom area into the cabin of the car......poke a hole in the grommet under the frame plug? If so, I cannot see at all where that wire would come through....

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

All done with the driver side door. That was a bitch, especially fishing it through the circular grommet on the fender.

Now on to the rear DS door. I'm not quite sure where to draw power from on this door......

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Seriously, what the **** is this garbage?? If I don't ever buy a car again that is held together with this crap, it'll be too soon.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts