Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was cleaning the interior of my Optima. I usually pull the interior door handle back and hold it to clean the plastic piece behind the handle. I've never had an issue but this time the interior handle on the rear passenger side door will not retract completely to the usual position. It sticks out slightly (see picture below). I've tried to push it back in place so it's flush with the panel but that doesn't work. Fortunately the interior handle works fine to exit the car so the functionality has not been affected at all, it's just an appearance issue. Before I pull the door panel off, does anyone have any idea what would cause this issue? Thnx!

door handle.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Same here but I do not know the cause.

The interior handle on the rear passenger side door of my wife's 2012 EX did not retract completely. It was fixed under warranty.

Last moth, it happened with my 2013 SX at the front passenger side door. It will be fixed with the next oil change at my dealer.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX
229 Posts
Yes, there is a rubber dampener inside/behind so that when you let go it doesn't make a loud plastic on plastic sound, it's out of place. 1. You could take it to dealer. 2. You could see if you can see it from outside (doubt it) 3. You can remove door panel your self and readjust it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Good to know it's an easy fix. I'm due for an oil change soon so I might let the dealer fix it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
357 Posts
I thought I'd resurrect this thread, as it seems I now have this same issue on my driver's side rear handle. Does anyone happen to have a picture of the handle with the panel removed? I wonder where the dampener is supposed to be when the handle is in the closed position.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer fixed mine, though I wouldn't hesitate to remove the door panel and do it myself if it happens again. Here is a video of someone removing the front drive side door panel and it shows the cables going to the door handle.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
357 Posts
I didn't see this in my YouTube search before for some reason, so thanks for sharing this one! :thumbsup:

Edit: in your case, was your door handle repaired, or replaced? I wonder if I can fix it without having to replace it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't see this in my YouTube search before for some reason, so thanks for sharing this one! :thumbsup:

Edit: in your case, was your door handle repaired, or replaced? I wonder if I can fix it without having to replace it.
The dealer adjusted the dampener and the handle has been fine ever since. You shouldn't have to replace anything, just need to adjust the dampener.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
357 Posts
The dealer adjusted the dampener and the handle has been fine ever since. You shouldn't have to replace anything, just need to adjust the dampener.
Thanks for the response. :) I hope to tackle taking out the panel when I get a free weekend, and warmer weather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Kia Optima - There’s a simple fix without removing door panel. Just flip the inside door handle quickly about a dozen times and it clears the mechanism of debris and then it slips back into place. I had a similar issue with the inside rear door handle on my 2012 KIA Optima which stopped working. The handle didn’t retract completely and wouldn’t open door from inside, but the outside handle worked fine. I read a post on another website and the guy said it is caused by debris that collects around the inside mechanism. The fix is simple, just flip the inside door handle about a dozen times real quickly. Sure enough, I tried it this morning and after about a dozen times it clicked back into place and now works perfectly. Great things is I didn’t have to remove the door panel which I was dreading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts