Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please don't hate me because I like quiet pipes on motorcycles....(I've been riding for 50 years)...and don't get all "fan-boy" on me when I say the Optima is a noisy car.

It is.

It's not my "opinion", it's a matter of fact. Reviewers and auto journalists write about it. The car is not well insulated and, as a result, suffers a lot of cabin noise. Has anyone seen that YouTube of the guy who strips EVERY single layer of EVERYTHING out of his Optima....roof panels, door panels, carpet, seats, trunk liner, the whole nine yards.....and you can SEE that there's next to nothing (in the way of sound deadening material) behind any of these surfaces.

When the ceiling is removed, there's one small patch of "puffy paper" (for lack of a better term), per roof panel, the likes of which you would find in the bottom of a Styrofoam tray to catch the blood-drippings from a couple of pork chops from the supermarket.

He (they, actually, it's an entire TEAM of workers) coat the entire interior with exotic-looking "Aero" sound panels before re-assembling, much as you would a home theatre, you know, in your mansion.....and, CRIMINALLY, he doesn't publish before and after decibel readings so that you can appreciate (or not) the results of his labor. (Because TRUST me, that was a shitload of work!) https://youtu.be/0sH0TQ1sYyY

I say all this in a round-about way, to approach two questions:
1. Has anyone done anything a LITTLE less intense in order to quell the noise in their Optima's cabin?....and

2. Have you ever changed the tires on your Optima, AWAY from the super low-profile format that comes from the factory, in an effort to reduce THAT source of road/cabin noise, because that, too, is a definite contributor. (My treads are almost at that point anyway, so why not!)

Anyone? Anyone? All comments greatly appreciated...because wifey is ready to divorce the car. I have to agree with her, that it's difficult to appreciate the fine stereo system that the car is equipped with, and you can barely make use of the Bluetooth integration to carry on a phone conversation on all but the quietest/smoothest of highways (good luck with THAT on most Canadian roads!)

In a word........help!

·
Super Moderator
452 Posts
I think it's pretty quiet, even better after buying way better tires. The stock tires are absolute garbage or buying anything near them. Look at tirerack.com ratings for better tires.

I just drove a Toyota Corolla and if you want to talk about loud....I thought a hole was in the passenger floorboard.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Must agree, cabin noise leaves a lot to be desired. What do you expect though, it's a "cheap" car so glass is not quality and lack of insulation is noticeable.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,178 Posts
I agree about the inside cabin noise, as my 2012 SX was loud.

As others have mentioned, a lot of it had to do with the stock tires that came on the car.

However, if you were to do even half of what that guy in his video does, it would make a huge difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mine's a 2014.
I'd be curious to know if the factory "got the message" and did things to quiet it down; either better tires.....or actually putting some sound deadening material on the body panels. (I'll have to break into my dealers lot some night....break into a 2016 and tear out the roof, trunk and door panels to check!)

Just kidding.....of course.....but how else to find out honest answers to questions like that. I know, contact the technical writers at Car and Driver!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree about the inside cabin noise, as my 2012 SX was loud.

However, if you were to do even half of what that guy in his video does, it would make a huge difference.
Yeah, I agree. Problem is, even HALF of what he did seems like a helluva lot of work........AND time, as we know, is money.

Now, since our Optima has 155K kliks on it (90 thousand miles).....it's probably worth nothing on resale anyway, so, I guess maybe it WOULD be worth putting a grand into it to "shut it up".

I might shop it around to a couple of interior guys and see what kind a money they want. I'm concerned that it's probably not a "common request", therefore not a lot guys familiar with doing the job well......even getting their hands on the materials readily.

We'll see, I guess.

If the tires are as much a sound issue as many have suggested, perhaps it'll be worth spending some bucks there......after studying the "Wheels, Tires and Suspension" discussion section.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's pretty quiet, even better after buying way better tires. The stock tires are absolute garbage or buying anything near them. Look at tirerack.com ratings for better tires.
Sounds like the voice of experience; what tires DID you buy?

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
Mine's a 2014.
I'd be curious to know if the factory "got the message" and did things to quiet it down; either better tires.....or actually putting some sound deadening material on the body panels. (I'll have to break into my dealers lot some night....break into a 2016 and tear out the roof, trunk and door panels to check!)

Just kidding.....of course.....but how else to find out honest answers to questions like that. I know, contact the technical writers at Car and Driver!
My 2012 was pretty quiet. I wasn't expecting Mercedes quiet for the cheap price but its much quieter than my Subaru SUV. Tires are the largest contributor to noise and as your tread wears, your noise level increases. I'd suggest some new tires asap!

Just for reference, the 2014 models introduced laminated (i.e., quieter) front door windows, and the 2016 line up introduced completely new sound proofing package. However none of the Optima lineup from 2011 forward was professionally reviewed as "noisy."

I personally think your issue is tires (unless you have an aftermarket exhaust!)

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
Please don't hate me because I like quiet pipes on motorcycles....(I've been riding for 50 years)...and don't get all "fan-boy" on me when I say the Optima is a noisy car.

It is.

It's not my "opinion", it's a matter of fact. Reviewers and auto journalists write about it. The car is not well insulated and, as a result, suffers a lot of cabin noise. Has anyone seen that YouTube of the guy who strips EVERY single layer of EVERYTHING out of his Optima....roof panels, door panels, carpet, seats, trunk liner, the whole nine yards.....and you can SEE that there's next to nothing (in the way of sound deadening material) behind any of these surfaces.

When the ceiling is removed, there's one small patch of "puffy paper" (for lack of a better term), per roof panel, the likes of which you would find in the bottom of a Styrofoam tray to catch the blood-drippings from a couple of pork chops from the supermarket.

He (they, actually, it's an entire TEAM of workers) coat the entire interior with exotic-looking "Aero" sound panels before re-assembling, much as you would a home theatre, you know, in your mansion.....and, CRIMINALLY, he doesn't publish before and after decibel readings so that you can appreciate (or not) the results of his labor. (Because TRUST me, that was a shitload of work!) https://youtu.be/0sH0TQ1sYyY

I say all this in a round-about way, to approach two questions:
1. Has anyone done anything a LITTLE less intense in order to quell the noise in their Optima's cabin?....and

2. Have you ever changed the tires on your Optima, AWAY from the super low-profile format that comes from the factory, in an effort to reduce THAT source of road/cabin noise, because that, too, is a definite contributor. (My treads are almost at that point anyway, so why not!)

Anyone? Anyone? All comments greatly appreciated...because wifey is ready to divorce the car. I have to agree with her, that it's difficult to appreciate the fine stereo system that the car is equipped with, and you can barely make use of the Bluetooth integration to carry on a phone conversation on all but the quietest/smoothest of highways (good luck with THAT on most Canadian roads!)

In a word........help!
I've done a lot of this as well since then. The 2 largest bang for the bucks was sound absorption pads above the front wheel fender liners (because tires make noise) and Dynamat below the rear seats.

https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/49-optima-showroom/72170-jasons-spicy-red-ex-turbo-showroom-10.html#post1626282

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2014 and I think road noise wise its pretty quiet. However, the pano roof is noisey and its driving me nuts. Constant creaking. All the time. But I think the 2014 doesn't let that much road noise in. Its quieter than a honda accord IMO.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I only have 11,000 miles on my 2018 but plan to upgrade to much better tires when it’s time. I don’t have as much of an issue with road noise or lack of insulation as I do the rattles the interior of my car has — they’re way more annoying than anything else.

I may be alone in this but when I test drove the new Accord last year when comparison shopping, the road noise was louder than the Optima, especially with the sunroof open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts