Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dome light on kia Optima 2014, stop working when you open the door, I check if the switch it was in a correct position and it was, I open the passenger door and the other doors and still don't work, it bothers me specially when you have to go to work at 4am.

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Optima EX
64 Posts
i have the same problem. I noticed if I ever so gently wiggle the switch the lights come on. for me it appears the switch itself is the culprit as the the dome lights come on fine when I move the switch to manually turn them on or do the wiggle.

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
I know exactly the issue and how to fix for free. I saw a video a while back when it happened in my car and no prob since. Carefully remove the light housing to get access to the inside/backside and you will see the light switch is just a mechanical lever that slides back and forth. To fix I used a thin piece of aluminum, about 1/4" square to place enough pressure on the switch to improve the electrical contact when on the center "Door" position. You could prob use thin cardboard, like from a 12 pack soda box. Good luck and don't loose the screw mounts into the roof!! I believe you need to attach them back on the screws then push the unit back in place before tightening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already did it, and don't work. If you turn on manually is fine, is just when you open the door, don't work
I know exactly the issue and how to fix for free. I saw a video a while back when it happened in my car and no prob since. Carefully remove the light housing to get access to the inside/backside and you will see the light switch is just a mechanical lever that slides back and forth. To fix I used a thin piece of aluminum, about 1/4" square to place enough pressure on the switch to improve the electrical contact when on the center "Door" position. You could prob use thin cardboard, like from a 12 pack soda box. Good luck and don't loose the screw mounts into the roof!! I believe you need to attach them back on the screws then push the unit back in place before tightening.
Thank you so much. I would do my best.

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
@Sandy That's too bad. All I can suggest is maybe try different thicknesses of pieces to apply pressure to the contacts. Maybe shoot a tiny bit of WD40 on the contacts and wipe dry. If I recall I tested it while hanging down to make sure I had it working good before re-installing. Take care not to fiddle with the contacts while plugged in or will blow fuse. Unplug > adjust > then plug back in. Worst case scenario is get a new unit off of eBay or KIA parts house. I agree it's unsafe feeling when not working. Good luck and let us know if you get it working.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts