Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you guys figured out as to having the back seat safe for dogs? After we purchased our 2019 Kia Optima, we didn't even leave the lot before I pushed on the brakes a little to hard "not being used to them", and our four legged son fell between the back seat and the backs of the front seat. He was wedged in tight. I stopped and lifted him back up on the seat. The wife had to sit in the back seat with him, so he would not fall again. Since then, because we take him almost everywhere we go, we drive our Jeep Wrangler 90 percent of the time, because it is dog friendly, due to back seat folding flat. About 8 percent of the time we take our Ford F250 pickup, because he can lay flat in the back seat. Therefore, we are driving our Kia 2 percent of the time, while he stays home. This does not make him a happy camper when he has to stay home. He is 12 years old, and each day that he is with us is precious.
P1010615.JPG
P1000323.JPG
car.jpg

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,699 Posts
Sorry to say that's why they have laws that dogs must be restrained, at least in some state.
We have a GoodenDoodle and use a harness around the chest, don't really like to use a neck collar, even on this "larger" dog, and attached to a seat belt pet holder the dog can still move about but restrained from extreme forward motion.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
357 Posts
Animals have no business being inside a vehicle, especially a passenger car... If you have a pickup, or suv with plenty of space, sure. But a passenger car is no place for a dog.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
357 Posts
Under maneuvers, an unsecured animal is at great risk. It's an unsecured load, and worse, a living unsecured load. For safety's sake, unless transportation is for necessary reasons (Initial move, veterinary visit, etc.), don't take your animals with you everywhere you go.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided that some of your responses are because of your ages, so I will suffice to say, when you age a little your opinions will change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dog hates car rides, she just hides on the floor anyway. Which, with leather seats, I'm okay with. I have weathertech floor liners and just put a sheet down for her when I take her anywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts