Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2020 Optima for about six months now, and the car has been great. The only issue I have is that I need (WANT) more lights. I am going to add additional lights to the front, but my question is, when or where did this ever exist.

The lower grill with fog light holes is available for all models with or without Intelligent Cruise, but that is as far as it goes. It has to have been in production somewhere, but I have yet to find any info.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima Lx
34 Posts
the S and EX models came with the fog lights, you might be able to get the parts at a Kia dealership or maybe Ebay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pointer to Ebay. I have not been there for years and forgotten all about them.
A new lower grill came in the mail today from Rockauto. I see that they are only 2 inch projectors. I'm going to modify this grill for something larger, but only if i find what I'm looking for that fits the style and design of the front end.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Keep us posted on the job, please. I would be very interested. Would like to make the lower turn signals into DRL/switchbacks but haven't figured out how.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turning the lower turn signals into DRL/Turn signals does exist.

AliExpress

AliExpress 2

Ebay

I'm not sure about the quality of the LED's. There are a lot of junk LED's out there. I would hate to put those in and in 6 months individual LED's start failing.

As for me adding lights in the lower grill, i'm looking at several different sets of OEM driving lights from several different manufacturers first. Most OEM have glass or a higher grade plastic lens. When I'm done I want it to look Kia built it that way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Turning the lower turn signals into DRL/Turn signals does exist.

AliExpress

AliExpress 2

Ebay

I'm not sure about the quality of the LED's. There are a lot of junk LED's out there. I would hate to put those in and in 6 months individual LED's start failing.

As for me adding lights in the lower grill, i'm looking at several different sets of OEM driving lights from several different manufacturers first. Most OEM have glass or a higher grade plastic lens. When I'm done I want it to look Kia built it that way.
Yes, I have seen those but I won't take a chance with those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep us posted on the job, please. I would be very interested. Would like to make the lower turn signals into DRL/switchbacks but haven't figured out how.

That should be pretty simple. There are aftermarket DRL controllers to convert turn signals to do both jobs. Also you can swap the single incandescent bulb to a dual color LED that comes with a resister to prevent hyperflash.

I will be looking to do this as well. I like the idea.

·
Registered
2013 optima sx
92 Posts
Why do you want those fog lights? If you want your lights to be brighter just do a hid swap or a retrofit.

I've had my 2020 Optima for about six months now, and the car has been great. The only issue I have is that I need (WANT) more lights. I am going to add additional lights to the front, but my question is, when or where did this ever exist.

View attachment 249704

The lower grill with fog light holes is available for all models with or without Intelligent Cruise, but that is as far as it goes. It has to have been in production somewhere, but I have yet to find any info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The factory headlights work fine. the issue is that sometimes I have to go driving out in the middle of nowhere and due the the lights cutoff line, everything above and to the sides is completely black. This works fine for normal street driving. As for modifying the existing headlights, I do not want to be that guy who blinds oncoming traffic.

The factory fog lights are only 2 inches. There are 2 inch flood lights out there I will try and see how they do. Have to pay attention to heat dissipation as well, the only air movement they will get is through a tiny hole to the side.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Optima
4 Posts
Yes, I have seen those but I won't take a chance with those.
I got mine off eBay and I’ve had them for over a year now. Never had problems with them I would definitely recommend. Gives it a different look and have had people ask me what kind of Lexus it is lol

·
Registered
13 Posts

View attachment 249704

Try K5 optima store K5 Optima Store - K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
23 Posts
About 3 years ago, my wife and I were on vacation...dark 4 lane Alabama road with fairly deep paved ditches that allow cars to cross over and exit the 4 lane. With no traffic, no security lights, and my projector beams shooting straight ahead....I almost went into the grass and not the turn around. So...the hunt was on for lighting. As you can see, my 2016 Optima EX came with no real option for lights except replacing facia or installing mini-lamps. Finally, Amazon had a sale on these lamps...I went for it. I also bought a harness kit from the same company that was heavy duty amperage-wise and included a lighted toggle switch. I called my local auto guy (the best in our little town)...and told him to install these lamps BEHIND the grill and asked for the toggle switch to go in the blanks on the dashboard. Plus...I did not want those lamps to have any power to the switch when....the engine was off. After about and hour, he called and said he had a better option for the toggle....on the fuse panel cover. It was too large for the Kia blanks. If I ever wanted to remove the lamps, I could buy a used cover to replace the one with a hole cut out. Brilliant! The lights have 6 or 8 modes and are bright as ****. Behind the grill...they look great. I'm pleased that I now have lighting control when I need it....and, I can see! That's my solution. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got mine off eBay and I’ve had them for over a year now. Never had problems with them I would definitely recommend. Gives it a different look and have had people ask me what kind of Lexus it is lol

I just saw them on Ebay and I think that could be a nice addition. They seem to have multiple LED as well. That has me thinking about turning them into sequential for the turn signal depending on how its built.:sneaky:

For lights, they do not have anything for the 2019/20 optima. :(

(snip) Brilliant! The lights have 6 or 8 modes and are bright as ****. Behind the grill...they look great. I'm pleased that I now have lighting control when I need it....and, I can see! That's my solution. Good luck!
I have two pairs similar to them in the grill on my truck. You are correct they are super bright. they saved me from hitting some lady's 300+ pound "pet" pig that got out of an open front door and just "wanted to play". Those were her words, and yes she said the pig lives inside the house. o_O

1 - 14 of 14 Posts