Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I do NOT mean push the button. There has to be a way to pull a fuse inside the engine compartnent. It will also turn off stability control, ut I don't recall needing it in my last 17 cars. Also, it is supposed to keep abs which is EXACTLY what I want.
I only want to use it on the track against my snooty son in law and his Alfa Giulia 2.0 turbo
It was rated at same HP, but tons more torque
It is sad that I can't use my prodigious lap3 system torque because of the invasive TRAC CONTROL. Any help like pressing the button 4 times then hold it down while pressing ok....that was would be swell!!! (y)

·
Registered
'13 Optima SX Turbo Named "Blu"
5 Posts
And I do NOT mean push the button. There has to be a way to pull a fuse inside the engine compartnent. It will also turn off stability control, ut I don't recall needing it in my last 17 cars. Also, it is supposed to keep abs which is EXACTLY what I want.
I only want to use it on the track against my snooty son in law and his Alfa Giulia 2.0 turbo
It was rated at same HP, but tons more torque
It is sad that I can't use my prodigious lap3 system torque because of the invasive TRAC CONTROL. Any help like pressing the button 4 times then hold it down while pressing ok....that was would be swell!!! (y)
Following!! I am also wondering how to turn off Stability Control along with the Traction Control. Usually you just hold the button for 7 seconds until they both blink off. Unfortunately the more I notice when It kicks on at certain times... I'm starting to think it's in the computer or transmission maybe somewhere? Could be wrong but I'll try to research more unless someone here knows!

·
Registered
'13 Optima SX Turbo Named "Blu"
5 Posts
So I found this, I'm gonna try it when I get to my car after work today. I think it says I have to have the car off and ignition ON in order to turn off the whole ESC system. Unless it's all one cluster beep of a system then we r screwed cause that's a computer thing I'd assume

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Following!! I am also wondering how to turn off Stability Control along with the Traction Control. Usually you just hold the button for 7 seconds until they both blink off. Unfortunately the more I notice when It kicks on at certain times... I'm starting to think it's in the computer or transmission maybe somewhere? Could be wrong but I'll try to research more unless someone here knows!
No its in the brakes. The fuse is under the hood with all the other black fuses clustered on the drivers side. Traction/stability control also CAN be turned off w/o affecting ABS. I just don't know which one it is!! :cautious::rolleyes:arrrggghhh

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
Why oh why would you want to turn off the traction/stability controls? The only thing this will accomplish is more wheel spin when you need more grip, spinning out at the worst moment, and wrapping yourself around a tree or telephone pole.

Want proof? Here you go:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have had 17 cars. Out of those 17, 3 of them had traction and stability control.
2 were Kia Optima's, (2012 ex and 2015 SX-TURBO), and my 99 Grand Cherokee V8 HO.
(y)
The rest had none of these safety aids, except ABS. I never wrecked any of them. So your thesis is that none of us can drive w/o 🤔 electronic nannies? Who are you to question our driving skills and safdty? The problem is that the TRACTION AND STABILITY CONTROL ARE INVASIVE. This causes driveability issues for the turbo cars in particular. I hope this clears everything up. I want this nanny OFF. I have brand new carbon fiber/ceramic pads and Detroit Axle vented, slotted, and cross drilled rotors. Brand new. It stops on a dime. My Michelin MXV4's have 95% tread remaining...brakes were installed on 10/21/20. :rolleyes:(y)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
The best drivers in the world are F1 drivers. They use Traction Control. If the best drivers in the world use driver aids, then driver aids are a beneficial thing. For starters, they allow the driver to focus more on the road, thus allowing them to y'know, drive.

These systems are designed to aid, not supplant one's abilities behind the wheel.

But if you think you've got a handle on things without electronic assistance, be my guest.

Just let me know where you'll be, so I can be several states over when you take to the road.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont need a safety lesson. 17 cars. No wrecks, and only 3 of 17 had traction control. F1 racers travel at speeds of 225 mph. I travel at 80 mph. I am asking about track only disable. There is a "run what you brung" night here locally. I dont need invasive trac ctrl causing a shift stumble, costing me the race. I wear a helmet and have a fuel cutoff. Also, I have new slotted/drilled rotors and carbon pads. Stops on a dime.
So AGAIN. How to disable traction ctrl or I will pay my mechanic to do it permanently. (Does not affect ABS).

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
I liked the article linked above. A seasoned pro talks about how traction control is good to leave on.

I'm confused though, why are you spinning out your tires to make traction control engage? Am I missing something - can you elaborate on how traction control gets in the way?

I mean, good drivers tend to not ever have the traction control engage, so you don't even notice it.

like your seat belt. I mean, I wear it but I don't ever USE my seat belt, it just sits on me and gets in the way. But that's because I don't crash all the time. But if I do end up crashing, I'll be glad I have my seat belt on.

Same with traction control. You turn it on and it just sits there, but when you need it, you are thankful you kept it on.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
A good phrase to keep in mind with things like Traction Control, Seatbelts, and other safety systems

"It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My gosh. It makes the car "stumble" when the trac ctrl engages on the 1/8th mile track. If you don't have the information on how to temporarily disconnect it, then please stop with the safety "motivational speaker" posts. Again. I have had 17 cars. 3 have had traction control. 14 did not. None were in serious accidents. And the one serious accident I was in does not count. I was T boned by a drunk driver while driving through an intersection at 35 mph. Traction Control would have made NO DIFFERENCE.
Do you know which fuse FULLY turns off traction control? If not, please stop making an issue of it. Please sir.
Thanks!
I feel like I visited a van "down by the river!"
(Chris Farley hilarious SNL skit)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I liked the article linked above. A seasoned pro talks about how traction control is good to leave on.

I'm confused though, why are you spinning out your tires to make traction control engage? Am I missing something - can you elaborate on how traction control gets in the way?

I mean, good drivers tend to not ever have the traction control engage, so you don't even notice it.

like your seat belt. I mean, I wear it but I don't ever USE my seat belt, it just sits on me and gets in the way. But that's because I don't crash all the time. But if I do end up crashing, I'll be glad I have my seat belt on.

Same with traction control. You turn it on and it just sits there, but when you need it, you are thankful you kept it on.
I would be happy to elaborate. My car spins during shifts. The 2 seconds of spin is WAY BETTER than traction control applying my carbon ceramic pads to my slotted and drilled rotors..which takes my car out of the power band, and costs me a real race against my son in law's Alfa Romeo Giulia. This is a real track with an ambulance on site. Seriously...how fast can an Optima to go in an 1/8th of a mile? Its not a funny car, or a Pro-stock, or a V8 Supercharged street racer with 2 shots of nitrous. Just my daily driver I race on "run what you brung" night. A helmet is all that is required on my class. After the race the fuse can and should go back on the car. I hope this clears up your queries.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why oh why would you want to turn off the traction/stability controls? The only thing this will accomplish is more wheel spin when you need more grip, spinning out at the worst moment, and wrapping yourself around a tree or telephone pole.

Want proof? NO!
Hey king fatty. It was easy to shut it all down
Just press and hold the traction control button for 5 to 7 seconds and you will notice that the screen adds "stability control disabled". My car never accelerated so smoothly. It allowed some wheelspin and kept it in the power band. I can't wait for track night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts