Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2020 Optima and want to put a catch can set on my new car but was wondering if will void my warranty if I install one ?
If this is wrong place for this let me know and I will delete it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
There have been some that took their car in and nothing was said about the occ, but I would be skeptical taking the car in with one, so I'd remove it when taking it to a dealer. I just wouldn't want any out for a dealer to say that the occ caused a problem and no warranty, then the fun would begin.
I know some may say M-M act, but I wouldn't want the hassle, but maybe others might have an opinion

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,677 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @BruceJ. and congrats on getting your new 2020 Kia Optima.

To answer your question, installing an aftermarket oil catch can will absolutely NOT void your vehicles factory warranty.

As that is just NOT how a factory vehicle new warranty works. You can check out the handy link below to read more about this and the Magnusson Moss Act.

Here is the link to this information on our website: Will aftermarket parts installed affect my factory warranty? - K5 Optima Store

At the end of the day, the dealer can tell you whatever they want, but the dealer themselves are unable to void a customers vehicle warranty.

Only Kia, upon determining that the modification you did was the direct result of the breakdown, or malfunction of another factory component, can they actually void your warranty.

What does this mean to you? This means that Kia can give you a hard time for adding aftermarket parts to your car, but they cannot simply void your warranty because of it.

The amount of protection you get by adding an oil catch can is definitely worth the installation of it on your vehicle, and as long as it is installed properly, you should not have any issues.

We have been a part of the Kia community selling oil catch cans for nearly 10 years now, and this question comes up monthly here with us and our customers.

To this day, we have yet to ever have a customer report to us here at the K5 Optima Store, here on the forums, in any of the Optima Facebook groups, or anywhere else that I have seen, that a customers warranty was voided or affected, after the installation of an oil catch can on their vehicle.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions about which oil catch can might work best for your vehicle. We have a large selection found on our site HERE.

Feel free to reach out anytime.

David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Unless you have a nice working relationship with your service advisor, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to remove aftermarket parts like OCCs that are easy to remove/uninstall; although the dealer cannot by themselves void the factory warranty, they could hypothetically play hardball and refuse to work on a warrantied component that may be obstructed by an aftermarket part unless you remove said aftermarket part first. Or if you go to the dealer and complain about how your brake pedal feels mushy and they discover that you've installed an aftermarket high-performance brake kit--they may tell you that they won't even attempt to diagnose the problem because they don't want to be held responsible if something bad happens to your aftermarket brake kit while troubleshooting your mushy brake pedal.

Yes I know the topic was about whether the dealer could void the factory warranty simply because of the presence of an aftermarket part; my comment was more along the lines of how the dealer can find a way to initially refuse to perform work on a warranty claim if an aftermarket part was in the way of the inspection.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,486 Posts
No a catch can (or any other aftermarket accessory) will NOT void a manufacturers warranty unless it is proven to be the contributing factor to a failure. Use search on the forums here as this has been asked many many many times. Have fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts