Kia Optima Forums banner

DIY: Rear Diffuser

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  smokebeer87 
#1 ·
What's up everybody. Just wanted to share my quarantine project I did last month on my 12 K5. I'm not real good at explaining or doing these editorials but I'll make it short and sweet. I had a hard time finding a diffuser like the one from the k5 store. It's been discontinued and wont be making them anytime. So what I did was find a descent diffuser piece on Ebay for $25 that will mount on my oem diffuser. When I received it, I had to cut one of the fins to fit my oem diffuser. Once I sanded down and clean the edges, I screwed onto my diffuser. It had holes already for the screws to mount. I sanded the add on piece along with my diffuser. This is the hard part. I had some bondo in my garage so I added it onto the edge of the piece to blend in with my oem diffuser. After a few trial and errors, I got it to were it was smooth and blended in with the diffuser. I used a 600 grit on the bondo At first and then a 1000 to smooth it out. Then came primer. I did 2 light coats then 2 heavier coats. Make sure to get the filler kind. I wet sanded with 1200 grit then continued to paint. I used a flat black paint I had already and it worked great. Same process, 2 light and 2 heavier coats. I then finished off with 5 coats of clear. I waited a week to mount it on to my car. One thing I recommend is using fiberglass and then Bondo for a more sturdy job. Thanks for checking out
mounted with screws and sanded
Bondo and sanded smooth all around edges
Primer
paint and clearcoat
Finished

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.