Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2012 K5
2,295 Posts
For me personally, ive driven more than 40 miles or more when the miles to empty showed dashes and filled up over 18 gallons.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,265 Posts
If memory serves, I think I got to 40 as well and the most I have filled up was 21 gallons. I have not got to see the middle section of the dash flash yellow although a buddy of mine did but he wasn't tracking how far he had driven, just wanted to see if there would be another warning as we saw on the video from when KIA was testing the car.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima SX
1,353 Posts
My distance to empty always goes to dashes after it says 30 miles left on tank. I have driven it 25 miles after that but not anymore. Because I don't want to run out of gas.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I took the chance. Drove home, with Fuel light on and last bar blinking. Went the 50KM I had to travel to get to my local gas station(7cents/L cheaper than others around) Car only took 62L. So I had 3L to go before I was empty. So now I know I can g about 100KM/67Miles when the light comes on then last bar flashes.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,265 Posts
So I took the chance. Drove home, with Fuel light on and last bar blinking. Went the 50KM I had to travel to get to my local gas station(7cents/L cheaper than others around) Car only took 62L. So I had 3L to go before I was empty. So now I know I can g about 100KM/67Miles when the light comes on then last bar flashes.
Even when that last flashing bar goes away, you still have another warning with the yellow flashing gas symbol in the center display. Of course by that point you are extremely low to the point of running out of gas. Don't recommend anyone try it and end up damaging their vehicle. I know some folks like to know absolutely where they stand when that are that low. Having that fusion is a good thing though.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you think about it, the distance to empty is a great option to have when you have a gas guage that is digital like the sx. When below 50 kilometers to empty you get a dash instead of a reading, mixed with a digital gas gauge, it amounts to a complete fail as far as the engineers who designed this. For me the most important feature of how many kilometers are left is pretty much when I am running out of gas...go figure

·
Registered
126 Posts
World Record Holder in a 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid Wayne Gerdes can put 22 gallons or 83 Liters in that 17.4 gallon tank by slowly topping it off. He very slowly filled my HSH and after the first click added 4 more gallons.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I drove about 35 miles today with the last bar blinking. When I filled it up the pump clicked off at 15 gallons. I was using my rewards with 85 cents off a gallon so I wanted to put as much in as possible. I was able to get the max allowed using the rewards in, which is 20 gallons. Took me a while though it was hard to get the pump to go slow and it kept clicking off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I drove about 35 miles today with the last bar blinking. When I filled it up the pump clicked off at 15 gallons. I was using my rewards with 85 cents off a gallon so I wanted to put as much in as possible. I was able to get the max allowed using the rewards in, which is 20 gallons. Took me a while though it was hard to get the pump to go slow and it kept clicking off.
You have to pull back on the rubber and old the nozzle outside the filler hole so it won't click off.

·
Registered
650 Posts
What is the distinct advantage to topping off you tank until it just can't take another drop? Are there no gas stations for 700 miles where you will be driving? Is it just one-up-mans-ship, some kind of contest to see who can pump in the most? All I see it doing is adding weight to the vehicle that will cut into your mpg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
"I was using my rewards with 85 cents off a gallon"

That seems like a good reason!

What is the distinct advantage to topping off you tank until it just can't take another drop? Are there no gas stations for 700 miles where you will be driving? Is it just one-up-mans-ship, some kind of contest to see who can pump in the most? All I see it doing is adding weight to the vehicle that will cut into your mpg.
What is the point in running your tank dry and over filling past spec size of our tanks? There is a reason why it shuts off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Took the words out of my mouth dipaolnv!

Thanks fishrib I did do that but it still took while. The lever was really tight on the nozzle.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,265 Posts
Yes, it does take a while longer to fill up. I like being able to drive 2 weeks without filling up. Heck if Tesla had a less expensive model, I would get one. If KIA came out with a full electric vehicle with a similar range or better range than Tesla at half the price, fully loaded, I would be in line for one. All these years and we can't get solar cells to a state where they can be incorporated in a mid-sized sedan to power it for long drive. Or maybe they do but since they can't charge for the rays of the sun (no profit), it makes no sense to do it.

·
Registered
2013 KIA Optima KOH
302 Posts
Yeah... I hate stopping to fill with gas. I only do full fillups. I think we are on the cusp of new battery technology in the pipe aka VW and their lithium-air...
I will likely go all electric for my next car. Hey, I almost bought a Volt - just looks kinda ugly like a Cruze...

·
Registered
20 Posts
@Waynerm002... your friends in Delaware have a Tesla charging station at the I-95 visitor center!!! Go get you that Tesla and come on up!

Yes, it does take a while longer to fill up. I like being able to drive 2 weeks without filling up. Heck if Tesla had a less expensive model, I would get one. If KIA came out with a full electric vehicle with a similar range or better range than Tesla at half the price, fully loaded, I would be in line for one. All these years and we can't get solar cells to a state where they can be incorporated in a mid-sized sedan to power it for long drive. Or maybe they do but since they can't charge for the rays of the sun (no profit), it makes no sense to do it.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,265 Posts
Got a test drive scheduled, have to see how it al works out. Was upside down going into the KIA from the BMW, want to wait and make the best of this one until I get that sorted. Of course if the pot gets sweeter and the deal works in my favor, I'll look into it. Got used to having all the trimmings and after speccing one out with the stuff I want, it's not looking as attractive in the numbers out of pocket. We will see.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts