Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been disconnecting my battery while my 2015 EX 2.4 is parked for long periods.

Will this erase the software update for the Knock Sensor? As in, perhaps, a "hard reset" that reverts the computer to original factory defaults?

As an aside, after the update was done I got slightly worse gas mileage (I drive a very specific commuter route) and the rpm gear setting was slightly higher, perhaps to avoid lugging. Anyway, since I've been disconnecting the battery I'm getting spectacular mileage . . . nearly 36 mpg, or two mpg more than this car is EPA rated to get.

Just anecdotal stuff here. Can't find any discussion on the 'net about how disconnecting the battery might affect the KSDS update.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
Not sure, but I seem to recall something about how the computer would adjust the RPMs of the shift points after it had a chance to "learn" your driving style, and this could be reset with battery removal. Sorry I don't have a specific source for this info.

But that could explain what you are seeing. I'm not sure what you mean by "rpm gear setting" - do you mean the RPM that the car will shift to the next gear?

·
Registered
49 Posts
No. Just like the other logic in the car's computer, cellphones, laptops or PCs - none of that code is stored on the volatile part of the memory (RAM). So, simply leaving the power disconnected does not do anything other than reset. It does reset your cars computer, but it won't wipe the KSDS or any other installed changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts