Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experiencing or hearing of headlights dimming? My driver side is considerably less bright than my passenger. I bought new Morimoto HID bulbs from K5 Optima Store but i swear the new one is just as dim? Is it a headlight assembly issue maybe?
Took it to the dealer but they wouldn't test it as I had aftermarket bulbs in it at that point. They wanted $249 for an OEM bulb.....to test. lol.

Thanks!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
28,964 Posts
100% the headlight assembly itself.

This has been an ongoing issue as of recently for the 2011 & 2012 year models.

The inner reflector inside of the headlamp itself has failed.

Short of replacing the entire headlamp assemblies, nothing will address the problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
100% the headlight assembly itself.

This has been an ongoing issue as of recently for the 2011 & 2012 year models.

The inner reflector inside of the headlamp itself has failed.

Short of replacing the entire headlamp assemblies, nothing will address the problem.
Thanks for confirming, that's what I figured but thought I'd ask the community first!

David, any suggestions on where to find a new assembly?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for confirming, that's what I figured but thought I'd ask the community first!

Is this a reasonable price? I have no idea lol.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
28,964 Posts

Of course, I understand.

Yes, we sell the Dual Projector HID Headlamp Assemblies on our site here: 2011-2015 Kia Optima KDM Dual Projector Headlights

They are for vehicles equipped with HID headlights and include built in auto-leveling as well, as well as clear corner reflectors

Is this a reasonable price? I have no idea lol.
This is NON HID, non auto leveling. This is for the base model LX/EX Optima models.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX
42 Posts
There is a program that if the dealer confirms that the headlight is dim due to the reflector becoming dull, they'll install a new headlight assembly free of charge. I got a notice from KIA in the mail a few months ago, and took it into the dealer earlier this week. I now have a new passenger side headlamp assembly. Saved about $700-800 (they have to remove the bumper to install it).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a program that if the dealer confirms that the headlight is dim due to the reflector becoming dull, they'll install a new headlight assembly free of charge. I got a notice from KIA in the mail a few months ago, and took it into the dealer earlier this week. I now have a new passenger side headlamp assembly. Saved about $700-800 (they have to remove the bumper to install it).

Correct, they'll only do this if you have OEM bulbs in the housing though - which I do not. Dealer wanted $250 for a new OEM bulb just to test, as I stated in the original post. Seems like my option is to spend $125 for a new eBay assembly and simply swap the bulb I currently have in there or find an OEM bulb and then have the dealer test.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course, I understand.

Yes, we sell the Dual Projector HID Headlamp Assemblies on our site here: 2011-2015 Kia Optima KDM Dual Projector Headlights

They are for vehicles equipped with HID headlights and include built in auto-leveling as well, as well as clear corner reflectors

This is NON HID, non auto leveling. This is for the base model LX/EX Optima models.

EEK, I'm not trying to spend $1K+. If the eBay link i posted isn't the right assembly for my 2011 SX, then I think my next best bet would be to find an OEM bulb and have the dealer test it that way? They wouldn't test it when I brought it in a few weeks ago because I had the aftermarket Morimoto bulbs in there.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
1 Posts

I'm having the same issue on my 2013 optima. I've also noticed the tealso noticed the turn signals do not illuminate nor do the lights and the rear view mirrors at night like they're supposed to. Could this be because of a faulty switch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts