Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kia has had my 2012 hybrid optima with about 100k miles for 5 weeks now. For about 3 weeks they were positive it was the hybrid battery. Out of the blue they determined it was a berring and connecting rod. Not sure how one led to another. At this point they say it needs a new engine. We have an extended warranty but they will only pay for a short block due to the value of the car. That’s $7100 and Kia is saying the remaining $6400 would be on us. It’s unbelievable about the extended warranty place, we are well within the max mileage, only about 11k miles over when we bought it. Second, I’m afraid Kia isn’t pushing the issue with them because I believe they are afraid the hybrid battery is also bad and they don’t want to be on the hook for that.
Please help with ideas on what to do. Please let me know if an obvious battery issue (lights flashing like Christmas on the dash for a few secs and then totally go out) could end up being a bad engine.
Please help, we are desperate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kia just came out with a recall for engine fires that may cover that. Have they checked for it?
I just sent it to them, they must have checked my vin for recalls before it came out ,because they hadn’t seen it.
They are telling me though that it only partially covers the engine. Gave me some excuse like there are different tiers of coverage, even though it says none of that in the recall notice.
Has anyone heard of that, that there’s different tiers when it’s hot spelled out on the recall notice?
Ps. Thanks for letting me know about the recall!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just sent it to them, they must have checked my vin for recalls before it came out ,because they hadn’t seen it.
They are telling me though that it only partially covers the engine. Gave me some excuse like there are different tiers of coverage, even though it says none of that in the recall notice.
Has anyone heard of that, that there’s different tiers when it’s hot spelled out on the recall notice?
Ps. Thanks for letting me know about the recall!
I took my hybrid in running fine for the recall now it’s not drivable and they are claiming it’s not related to the work they did. Went in the door fine took 3 weeks now it’s a useless driveway blocker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts