Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Optima 2014 Optima SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so not sure how it got there but I woke to a tennis ball sized dent in my passenger side door right about the middle since I'm not working right now due to covid 19 i cant afford to pay someone to fix I'm curious if I remove interior door panel is there any access there to push dent out?
Thanks 2014 optima sx

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Not sure, but if you can't do that, you might try one of those paintless dent removal kits from the auto parts store. Pulls from the outside...

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
139 Posts
I would recommend the PDR that come to your house. These people are amazing. Had a shopping cart hit my wifes sorento and actually put a crease in the door. Guy came out and spent 5 hours working it to get it perfect. Never can tell it was dented. Yes it was expensive but I am crazy about dents and dings. My wife just said it’s fine leave it. **** no I said. Just search google you should be able to find someone in your area that does it and read their reviews. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
593 Posts
My shopping cart dent removal was around $120 and took about 25 minutes;
You should at least text/email a pic to X guys who do this and get an estimate.
Call dealers as this guy parked behind a Porsche dealership building and did the work for them & others in a parking area / my house + $$ but would have.
Rather than removing the door panel he rolled down my rear window and carefully inserted a steel rod with a short 90-degree bend at the end; The space between the panel and outer door was a little less than the finger length, so when he twisted the rod the finger pushed the dent out, and "massaging" for 25 min did the trick.
Good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Professional PDR is the best, and in the end cheapest, way to do it.
They worked miracles on our 2011, which after a few years had a few parking lot dings on it (y)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am an insurance appraiser and have years of writing estimates inspecting cars etc. PDR is definitely the way to go (assuming that the dent can be repaired using this method) there are several reasons. First it is cheaper and you can get better results, the caveat here is that you use an experienced PDR guy, and not some fly by night storm chaser. The repair will not be breaking into the factory paint so there are no issues with paint match or clear coat or adjacent panels. Just make sure that they do NOT drill any holes, usually the fly by night guys will drill a hole to gain access because its faster but the really good PDR guys will not and have very special tools to get behind a panel. If you've ever watched a PDR tech work it is almost like an art form. I also do not recommend the DIY PDR or hot glue kits you can buy, they usually give poor results by either "oil calling" the dent or pulling the paint off. Depending on the dent size and material (Aluminum is more expensive than steel) it should cost between $100-200 but prices vary. Also this isn't an I need it done right not type of repair as long as the paint and clear coat aren't damaged you can wait and shop around, or at least until you get your Economic Stimulus check(LOL j/k)

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
8 Posts
If it is a small, pressure type dent with no creases, there are some you-tube videos that I've seen on-line where guys have used a hair-dryer or heat-gun to heat up the dent area, then freeze-shrink the dent by blasting it with freon or starting-fluid and the dent pops back out on it's on. I have not tried it myself but they look pretty promising and easy enough to be worth trying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts