Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2019 Optima Hybrid EX left my wife and grandkids stranded yesterday. It lost power right before a message similar to Hybrid Malfunction, do not drive, call roadside assistance. We had it towed to our dealer.

The service department called to say it would be 3 weeks at minimum before they could diagnose it. Reason being all their service bays are full. They have cars in bays waiting on new engines.

I called Kia. Waited 30 minutes for someone to take the call. They say their hands are tied. Kia dealers are independent so they can't tell dealers how to run their business. We are welcome to take the car to someone else, but the work would not be covered by warranty.

I'm looking for advice on the best approach to get the dealer to diagnose the issue in a timely manner, if there are any good escalation actions we can take.

Thank you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is the Kia dealer the only one in town? How far is another Kia dealer? If they are behind there isn't much that can be done.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
If they didn't make such a crappy product you wouldn't have the problem with all the engine replacements ahead of you.
Not much you can do other than keep after them.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
Use the similar approach to getting a table at a popular restaurant: bribe or generously pre-tip to see what they can do, suggesting there is more bribery to be had if they get you serviced sooner.

But really, is that particular dealership so desirable that you don't want anything else? So much cheaper to go to another dealership that isn't full, so you don't have to bribe them...

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the only one in town and the one in the next town over about 20 miles is the same owner. Thank you!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not sure why they wouldn't just move the cars out of the shop while they wait for the engines to come in at a later date. Poor shop management there. Should still have Kia Roadside on it. Have them tow it to a Kia dealer that knows how to manage their service area properly.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure why they wouldn't just move the cars out of the shop while they wait for the engines to come in at a later date. Poor shop management there. Should still have Kia Roadside on it. Have them tow it to a Kia dealer that knows how to manage their service area properly.
I agree. There are only 2 dealers within 300 miles and both are owned by the same schmuck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does the warranty cover rental cars / loaner vehicles? Our dealer gave us a rental car after having ours in the shop for 2 weeks, perhaps if you ask for a loaner or rental they will give you one (or fix the car sooner?).

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, Kia stated rental or loaner cars are at the discretion of the dealer. I appreciate the response very much. :)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Unfortunately, Kia stated rental or loaner cars are at the discretion of the dealer. I appreciate the response very much. :)
You give up too easily.
Next time you speak to the morons, ask them what this means in the settlement, and who do I send the rental bill to, the dealership or Hyundai Corporate:
Hyundai dealerships will provide a free loaner vehicle of comparable value if requested, until repairs are completed. If no loaner vehicle is available,
Hyundai will provide full reimbursement of reasonable rental car expenses up to $40 per day.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our car isn't covered by the settlement. I agree I've been much more passive than I usually am.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got to ask, why wouldn't the car be covered by the settlement?

Just reread the post....another HYBRID ICE engine bits the dust.:(
Apparently 2019 Hybrids are not covered by the settlement. I spoke to the service manager, they looked at it last night. Gas engine wasn't engaging, knocking badly. Repair will be covered under warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts