Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima 1.6T LX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, need to figure out what to do about this issue.
My LX experiences intermittent clutch shudder when starting from a complete stop. This clutch shudder gets worse the longer the car sits (like over the weekend). It usually feels better during more frequent usage. When it is bad, it shudders pretty good. When it is working better, I don't notice much of anything. Once it is having a bad session, it will not go away unless maybe I pull over, turn the car off, restart, and continue on my way. The first initial clutch engagement of the day in drive may have an effect as well. During this initial engagement of the day, I try to just let off the brake, let it slowly begin to roll and engage the clutch, and then I take off. This seems to help, as opposed to putting it in drive and hitting the accelerator. When it is having a bad session, I sometimes notice it gets better if I put it in Sport or Eco mode, but that doesn't work as well as shutting the car off and starting over.

I have a feeling the techs are aware of this, as the service manager came out and asked me "does this problem get worse when it is cold and damp/rainy outside?", which to me relates to mine being worse when the car sits for a couple days.

Been to the dealer twice now. Reset the TCM, helped a bit, but issue came back after car sat.
I have a friend who has what I believe is the same engine/transmission in a 16 Hyundai Sonata, he doesn't seem to have this issue.
I am at a loss as to what to do. Other than this issue, the car is great. Below is the documentation I was given by the dealership last time I went in. Any assistance would be appreciated.

NHTSA ID: 10109854
TSB ID: PS481 (Kia ID)

Ps481: dual clutch transmission (DCT) characteristics –
All models with a 1.6L Turbo engine may come equipped with a 7-speed dual clutch transmission (DCT), except the 2017MY Niro (DE) with a 1.6L Atkinson engine comes equipped with a 6-speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT). This automatic transmission is unlike the conventional automatic transmission found in the complete line up of Kia vehicles. The new DCT improves fuel efficiency and can also provide a sportier feel. Certain aspects of this technology may lead to customer concerns if they are unfamiliar with it. To help maximize owner satisfaction on this new technology, Kia would like all dealership sales and service personnel to be familiar with the characteristics of this new transmission.
Essentially, a DCT is an automated manual transmission. Unlike a conventional automatic transmission, this transmission utilizes two separate clutches and gear sets: one for odd gears, and one for even gears. The transmission control module (TCM) engages and disengages the clutches automatically. Being an automated manual transmission, customers may experience some characteristics not common in a traditional automatic transmission, such as a shudder sensation.
This shudder sensation can be compared to what is felt when the driver of vehicle with manual transmission disengages the clutch when coming to a stop, and then engages it to transmit power to the wheels. In vehicle equipped with a DCT, a smilar sensation may be felt under light acceleration from a stop, or at slow speeds (such as in stop and go traffic).
Keep this condition in mind as you test drive the DCT equipped vehicle. A well prepared technician will be able to address customer questions by explaining these normal characteristic concerns leading to a happy customer.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima (SWP + Blk interior)
32 Posts
Mine started shuddering a bit for the very first time this past Sept (purchased in Feb 2016), just enough to become noticeable. This typically happened at low speeds; not sure if related to prolong periods of un-use. I was unsure if it was due to any imbalance caused by the tire rotation. Told the dealer at next service to look into it. The service technician who drove the vehicle said this isn't normal. We left the car for a whole day at the dealership so they may figure out any causes and potentially fix them. Nope, the dealer tells me late in the evening that this is working as designed along with similar explanation as you got. We needed the car and didn't pursue the matter further. The shudder seems to have gone by now. So I'd suggest to try a different dealer.

Btw, Hyundai Tucson also has the same combo-- 1.6T and 7-spd DCT. A few folks have made a lot of noise -- https://www.hyundai-forums.com/2016-tucson-ix35-models/454074-dangerous-horrible-dct.html. My experience for most parts has been relatively trouble free, if not perfect (see my past posts).

-TC

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
Well, after numerous feedback, looks like Kia engineered another BOMB in its unique DCT. Just what I would want in an A/T car, shuttering.

At least it looks as if they're owning up to the "defect" and not sweeping under the carpet as they tried to do with the engine problems.

It seems to me the development and testing is far beyond the manufacturing process. Have an idea so let's put it to use and test in real world conditions, then we'll find out if it works. Guess not.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima 1.6T LX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shuddering DCT update, 2 years later. (2016 Optima LX 1.6t 7-speed DCT)
Mine will still shudder on the first clutch engagement of the day. After that, it seems to be fine. Sometimes it will engage smoothly during first engagement, but not too often. I have one more theory to add. I know on my manual transmission 01 Dodge Ram diesel, when the engine is cold, first clutch engagement can shudder due to the engine not running as smoothly at low rpm when cold. Could be a combo of a cold rough running engine (at low rpm under load of clutch engagement) and a cold clutch. I can remedy that by increasing engine rpm as I release the clutch for the first couple times during warm-up on my truck. Just a thought, Kia should work on the clutch engagement software to compensate for a cold engine at low rpm during clutch engagement before engine is up to operating temperature. If the engine rpm could be increased during clutch engagement when the engine is cold, I believe the problem would be solved on my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, need to figure out what to do about this issue.
My LX experiences intermittent clutch shudder when starting from a complete stop. This clutch shudder gets worse the longer the car sits (like over the weekend). It usually feels better during more frequent usage. When it is bad, it shudders pretty good. When it is working better, I don't notice much of anything. Once it is having a bad session, it will not go away unless maybe I pull over, turn the car off, restart, and continue on my way. The first initial clutch engagement of the day in drive may have an effect as well. During this initial engagement of the day, I try to just let off the brake, let it slowly begin to roll and engage the clutch, and then I take off. This seems to help, as opposed to putting it in drive and hitting the accelerator. When it is having a bad session, I sometimes notice it gets better if I put it in Sport or Eco mode, but that doesn't work as well as shutting the car off and starting over.

I have a feeling the techs are aware of this, as the service manager came out and asked me "does this problem get worse when it is cold and damp/rainy outside?", which to me relates to mine being worse when the car sits for a couple days.

Been to the dealer twice now. Reset the TCM, helped a bit, but issue came back after car sat.
I have a friend who has what I believe is the same engine/transmission in a 16 Hyundai Sonata, he doesn't seem to have this issue.
I am at a loss as to what to do. Other than this issue, the car is great. Below is the documentation I was given by the dealership last time I went in. Any assistance would be appreciated.

NHTSA ID: 10109854
TSB ID: PS481 (Kia ID)

Ps481: dual clutch transmission (DCT) characteristics –
All models with a 1.6L Turbo engine may come equipped with a 7-speed dual clutch transmission (DCT), except the 2017MY Niro (DE) with a 1.6L Atkinson engine comes equipped with a 6-speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT). This automatic transmission is unlike the conventional automatic transmission found in the complete line up of Kia vehicles. The new DCT improves fuel efficiency and can also provide a sportier feel. Certain aspects of this technology may lead to customer concerns if they are unfamiliar with it. To help maximize owner satisfaction on this new technology, Kia would like all dealership sales and service personnel to be familiar with the characteristics of this new transmission.
Essentially, a DCT is an automated manual transmission. Unlike a conventional automatic transmission, this transmission utilizes two separate clutches and gear sets: one for odd gears, and one for even gears. The transmission control module (TCM) engages and disengages the clutches automatically. Being an automated manual transmission, customers may experience some characteristics not common in a traditional automatic transmission, such as a shudder sensation.
This shudder sensation can be compared to what is felt when the driver of vehicle with manual transmission disengages the clutch when coming to a stop, and then engages it to transmit power to the wheels. In vehicle equipped with a DCT, a smilar sensation may be felt under light acceleration from a stop, or at slow speeds (such as in stop and go traffic).
Keep this condition in mind as you test drive the DCT equipped vehicle. A well prepared technician will be able to address customer questions by explaining these normal characteristic concerns leading to a happy customer.
Did you ever get this resolved?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello
I would like to ask if anyone can give me information about problems with DCT 7 gear transmission on KIA Optima 2018. It is 1.7 diesel, purchased new - on 5000 miles I start feeling shudder from 1st and second gear. I always accelerate gently, really rare to press the pedal more than half. After 20 000 miles, and many visits to the dealer - the fly wheel has to be replaced. The car is in warranty, only I don't understand how this happened. Always drive on ECO mode, not on highway - no need. Most of the mileage is done in town. I love the car, and I want to avoid braking it - I will be happy if someone shares information what I have done wrong?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 Optima has the same issue, has anyone been able to get this resolved. Mine starts to overheat, it says "Transmission Temp high, please stop for your safety" I don't know what to do, I get the same response from Kia as everyone else with the same problem of DCT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts