Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long post.

It started in November, my daughter calls and says the gravy boat light is on. I was at work and on a call w/ an atty (part of my job). I rushed her off the phone and totally forgot about it. A couple of days later, she calls to say the brakes locked up, the car cut off and won’t start. I had it towed to mechanic friend who calls me says the engine is seized. :eek: At this point I’m pissed with myself for missing it when I was on the phone.

I take forever to choose a remanufactured engine (my mechanic recommended remanufactured). By the time I odered to have it delivered, mechanic had to travel out of state for a funeral over the holiday, more delay. So he finally gets home, gets started, and since the engine is seized, he cannot turn the shaft? (I forget what exactly), cannot separate the engine from the tranny. So somehow, he removes the engine, tranny and both axles and has them on the side.

After that, it’s determined that the starter is burnt up (from tryIng to start a seized engine).

Mechanic recommneds new spark plugs, fuel injectors and serpentine belt. When putting the fuel rail, etc back togethe, the fuel line snaps. He wants to buy the connector and heat shrink it onto the line. Nope, that’s not how it works. Had to buy and wait for a new fuel line (that goes back to the tank) from the dealer. Now that’s all done, the engine and all the parts are in and reassembled, new fluids. She gets the car back.

But, the ABS, traction, TPMS and brake lights are all on. Mechanic calls his friend at a dealership who says the lights will turn off as she drives it. Wrong!! Then the CEL light comes on. I have her go to autozone and get the code checked. It checks out as the VSS sensor. But which one? I take it to the dealer to determine that both are bad. It costs me $160 for them to tell me that both the front sensors are bad. It’ll cost another $600 to buy and install them ($150+ each and $140+ labor for each). I go to rock auto and buy both from sensors, with next day shipping for less than the price for one.

A couple of hours and they’re done. All the lights are off and she’s gone back to campus again (an hour ago).

In all:
Engine
Fuel injectors
Starter
Serpentine belt
Battery
Hood prop
Engine
Fluids
VSS/ABS Sensors

This is a car she bought last summer. She had to have this 2011 EX GDI w/ 165000 miles. She has a “new car” now. Dad and Mom spent about as much as she spent buying the car.

Thanks for listening.

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
Things that parents do for their kids especially daughter, much respect to you sir and your dedication to complete the repair but OMG if that was me I would have just dump the **** car and get a different one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,868 Posts
Why didn't Kia cover the engine replacement?
Talk about kids and cars- many years ago got ahold of my uncles 20 year old 1969 Chevy Nova with only 12,000 miles. Had a 383 Chev engine and 4 speed to put in the car, but in the meantime let the son use the car for a couple weeks, but on the way down to the shore house he fell asleep and picked out the biggest tree on the side of the road. Car was totalled as the engine ended up inside the car with roof buckled. He got banged up pretty bad, but survived. I then let him use the 1970 Camaro I had in the garage, mint except for paint and one day on the way to work, slide on ice, hit a concrete post and turned the car over, another total wrecked car.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,868 Posts
Posted on the other thread engine will seize or burn oil, and it comes with a lifetime warranty for the debris issue, and also lifetime on the replacement engine. Shame as Kia would cover the entire job.
At one time, if people had their engines replaced before the updates/recalls, Kia would give a reimbursement, but now???
Call Kia customer service and see what they say, can't hurt.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,568 Posts
Yes, I was going to say the same thing, it was confusing why the first step here was to order a new engine.

But the question might be, is there any problem with requesting reimbursement? I cannot remember the exact wording of the letter, but I'm worried that there was a window of opportunity for when the customer replaced their own engine that was open only prior to the rollout of the engine diagnosis. But now that the engine diagnosis is standard at all shops, Kia might not be willing to reimburse.

No harm in requesting reimbursement though. But you may need to be blessed with luck or lots of goodwill so might need to kiss some ass to help things along...?

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima
38 Posts
Posted on the other thread engine will seize or burn oil, and it comes with a lifetime warranty for the debris issue, and also lifetime on the replacement engine. Shame as Kia would cover the entire job.
At one time, if people had their engines replaced before the updates/recalls, Kia would give a reimbursement, but now???
Call Kia customer service and see what they say, can't hurt.
I thought that the lifetime replacement only applied if you have previously done the KSDS update? And if not the warranty was only to 100k? Or did I misunderstand that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts