Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia LX
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help... Can anyone explain how to hardwire Viofo dash cam runs so it runs non-stop. I want to be able to turn it on and off manually. What can I connect to that will supply needed power to keep it powered. Seems like whatever I check that should supply the power it drops voltage when car is started and shuts camera off.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
171 Posts
Most things will. To allow the starting car to have the most power for starting. You can just run a fused wire from the battery.

·
Registered
2013 Kia LX
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just tried direct to battery... Same thing... Turn engine off and dash cam turns off..

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Chuck, I’ve read that most people use an external battery pack for continuous recording without draining the car battery but it’s mostly for parking mode only. They do sell this battery pack and it’s exactly what you’re looking for BUT very pricey. Have a look at this battery pack that will support 24-48 of continuous recording.

Cellink NEO Battery Pack | Smart Power Bank for Dash Cams | Supplies 24-48 Hours Battery Life to Your Dashboard Camera (Cigarette Output) Cellink NEO Battery Pack | Smart Power Bank for Dash Cams | Supplies 24-48 Hours Battery Life to Your Dashboard Camera (Cigarette Output): Amazon.ca: Electronics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Kia LX
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. In doing some trial and error found that a direct connect with a USB cable from the port under the radio seems to work. Now to try different options in hiding the cord. Better than remembering to turn it on all the time. Car gets driven daily so not worried about battery drain.

·
Registered
2019 Optima SX
8 Posts
I believe the USB port under the radio turns off after a couple minutes a few minutes after turning off the car. I bought a $12 USB to OBDII cable. I ran it along the headliner and the A pillar down to the OBDII port so my dash cam's parking sensor can work. Every once in a while I'll get a battery discharging message on the LCD if I don't drive the car for more than a day but I haven't had any issues yet. My dash cam turns on fully when I start the car. The plug has an on/off button on it so you can control whether you want power to the cable at all time or only when the car is running. Link to the one I got below.

·
Registered
2013 Kia LX
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting... Since I ran the usb power to the right side lighter socket all has been working. Hopefully it will continue. LOL Thanks for the followup..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts