Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia 2012 SX
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how best to describe it but it sounds like something turns on and then clicks around. Its almost like a relay or a servo motor of some kind... doesnt alway do it but here is the video of the sound:

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Sorry - much louder on my phone but if you get close to the speaker you can clearly hear it...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very hard to guess anything based on the sound recording.

Wild guess - possibly servos tied to flap gates in the HVAC? Since it is sporadic and right after start up, maybe your ACC is changing modes from vent to floor/defrost (or whatever). If you have a jammed flap in the HVAC track, maybe defrost since you're hearing it up high near the gauge cluster, the servo could be trying and failing to actuate that flap.

Try turning the ACC to full off and see before you start the car and see if the problem goes away. Or manually change HVAC modes and see if you can recreate it via the HVAC controls. Or turn the fan on high as you sweep through HVAC modes and see if air is coming out where you expect each time.

Or could be something else completely unrelated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No clue but I do have a guess.....maybe something flapping around in the duct system.....make sure there's no fan blowing and have a listen.....process of elimination .....GL

·
Registered
2012 Kia 2012 SX
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very hard to guess anything based on the sound recording.

Wild guess - possibly servos tied to flap gates in the HVAC? Since it is sporadic and right after start up, maybe your ACC is changing modes from vent to floor/defrost (or whatever). If you have a jammed flap in the HVAC track, maybe defrost since you're hearing it up high near the gauge cluster, the servo could be trying and failing to actuate that flap.

Try turning the ACC to full off and see before you start the car and see if the problem goes away. Or manually change HVAC modes and see if you can recreate it via the HVAC controls. Or turn the fan on high as you sweep through HVAC modes and see if air is coming out where you expect each time.

Or could be something else completely unrelated.
It is in fact the motor thats controlling the flaps for the vents... i tested it and it makes the noise when i switch to different positions. However - the recorded noise is clearly it getting stuck and chattering between cycles or something. Normally its fine but sometimes it does this where it can either find the position it wants or is having issues. Not sure how to fix this other than have the dealership rip half my car apart...

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
48 Posts
I had the same issue in a Lexus RX300 I had several years ago. It was annoying. A sensor isn't being activated so the motor keeps turning until some timeout. I imagine it can be accessed from under the dash, but I wouldn't know for sure. Probably not as bad to get to as you think.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine has been making occasional weird noises behind the instrument cluster as well. Almost like computer sounds with switches and relays going off. When I was at the dealership a couple of weeks ago to have the oil changed it was making the noise so I had a tech listen to it. He had never heard it before and no idea what it was. According to him the only way to find out what was going on would be to tear the dash apart and find it.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

It's coming from the gauge cluster, maybe the speedometer?
My first thought too was the speedometer cable but these cars don't have a cable, it's all electronic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Omg

This is EXACTLY what is happening with me. My 2012 SX is doing this. Dealer doesn't know what it is and told me to "ignore it". It's so loud, it's hard to ignore.

Did you eventually get it resolved? If so, what was the problem? I want to tell my dealer.

·
Registered
14 Kia Optima
8 Posts
To me it sounds like the actuator to your blend door is making that noise. Ive seen the issue before, the actuator is located by your right foot when driving, so maybe have a listen in that area and see if it gets louder.

·
Registered
2k11 Kia Optima EX
40 Posts
I think I know what it is, I too have that noise, I saw someone post about the A/C and I changed I direction that the air would be blowing (foot, windshield, ext) mines was set to windshield and it makes the noise, I change it to foot and the noise stops. So something with the flaps. I'm guessing

·
Registered
203 Posts
My car makes some odd click noise when the heat is on, heat off no clicking. Its so low but for some reason I cant really hear it but my gf can. Would bring to kia but I doubt they would hear it or do anything

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima Optima
1,355 Posts
I have same sound only when air flow is set to foot and dash, went to Kia and they said it was normal dut to wear and tear use of the vehicle . Still hear it now days nothing I can do rither

-Blinky_K5

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
I agree with those who mention the blend door actuators. Mine does that too on startup but only for a second or so.

Try changing the temperature and position of the HVAC and listen for the blend door motors with each change.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
24 Posts
Just wanted to add some info. Had this same issue as MrJah, where selecting the Foot Mode would make it cause the sound. Got it fixed today. Took it to the dealer, turned out to be a WORN MODE ACTUATOR. Fixed under the 60k limited warranty. Car is a 2013 Sx. Hope that helps anyone.
At first dealer could not replicate problem but i told them to shut doors and keep fan on lowest setting and noise was clear. My noise was consistent only when mode was set to vent towards feet.

---------- Post added at 02:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

If anyone is interested part number is 97157 3SAA0 Actuator-Mode

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Just wanted to add some info. Had this same issue as MrJah, where selecting the Foot Mode would make it cause the sound. Got it fixed today. Took it to the dealer, turned out to be a WORN MODE ACTUATOR. Fixed under the 60k limited warranty. Car is a 2013 Sx. Hope that helps anyone.
At first dealer could not replicate problem but i told them to shut doors and keep fan on lowest setting and noise was clear. My noise was consistent only when mode was set to vent towards feet.

---------- Post added at 02:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

If anyone is interested part number is 97157 3SAA0 Actuator-Mode
Great info, thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts