Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some messing around with UV LEDs and Fluorescent tape...

Trust me, it looks better in person.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are we looking at here? The color or?
The license plate bulbs are UV (Blacklight) LEDs, and the lettering has been covered with stenciled out fluorescent tape. The result is that the letters glow brightly, compared to the relatively dim blacklights. The camera amplifies a lot, so some of the effect is lost.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,681 Posts
The license plate bulbs are UV (Blacklight) LEDs, and the lettering has been covered with stenciled out fluorescent tape. The result is that the letters glow brightly, compared to the relatively dim blacklights. The camera amplifies a lot, so some of the effect is lost.
Ahh gotcha, that makes sense. Looks pretty neat!

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL (Normandy SR2)
20 Posts
That is really cool! I've thought about doing this with my new vanity plates, but as far as I'm aware it's absolutely illegal to modify license plates in any way.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The technicality I'm going with is that while it is illegal to modify your license plates in any way that makes them difficult to be read, by marring or obscuring the characters, there is absolutely no rule that states you can't make your characters more visible...

(The fact that the resulting setup has some... interesting results when seen on certain cameras is only a side effect)

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL (Normandy SR2)
20 Posts
Interesting. Well it looks really cool and I guess you haven't been pulled over so (for the license plate) so that's good. I may pop this on my list of possible mods if I ever get my car back... Dealership had it for 25 days as of today for the engine recall...

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Speaking of illegally modifying license plates--in California I believe there is a Vehicle Code where technically you cannot put any sort of cover/film over your license plate; such a rule applies to folks who like putting clear or tint-colored thin plastic protective covers over/on their license plate. So yes even though you technically did not modify the license plate itself, CA considers putting anything over/on it (other than registration tags/stickers and license plate frames that don't obscure any part of the plate ID itself) a vehicle-code violation as well.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speaking of illegally modifying license plates--in California I believe there is a Vehicle Code where technically you cannot put any sort of cover/film over your license plate; such a rule applies to folks who like putting clear or tint-colored thin plastic protective covers over/on their license plate. So yes even though you technically did not modify the license plate itself, CA considers putting anything over/on it (other than registration tags/stickers and license plate frames that don't obscure any part of the plate ID itself) a vehicle-code violation as well.
Thank God I don't live in California... If seems like they have the most restrictive vehicle laws on the planet...

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
LOL indeed; only recently (well, since the past decade) did California relax the front window tint laws somewhat as IIRC you can have no darker than 70% film on the driver/front passenger windows (vs. before when NO front door window film was allowed).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, it's looking really great. I mean, to be honest, I am not a big fan of this Cyberpunk game and all the things related, but I understand its impact and the thing that it will definitely change the game industry a little. The only thing that I have disliked is their failure with the PS4 platform and that the ps store itself is not about giving those money back to their customers. Anyway, as a design, you can find such plates on Private Number Plates - Car.co.uk. I am not a judge here to say if it’s bad or not to use such registration plates, but as a man of culture, I can surely say that it’s looking great!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that, however I dont see how I can add it to my Tesla plate lights, do you have any ideas?
Depends on the kind of bulbs present in the license plate lighting assembly. Most systems use T10/194 bulbs, and those UV units will fit those. If you have a different type of bulb, there's probably a UV version out there.

Your first step should be identifying what kind of bulbs you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends on the kind of bulbs present in the license plate lighting assembly. Most systems use T10/194 bulbs, and those UV units will fit those. If you have a different type of bulb, there's probably a UV version out there.

Your first step should be identifying what kind of bulbs you have.
You seem like you know what you're doing!

Would it be possible for you to make them, then I buy them from you?

I'm very much interested in them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You seem like you know what you're doing!

Would it be possible for you to make them, then I buy them from you?

I'm very much interested in them.

Thanks!
If you want to send me a pair of stock units, I can probably modify them to be UV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want to send me a pair of stock units, I can probably modify them to be UV.
YOU ARE THE BEST!

I will look for some stock units, and keep you posted.. cant tell you how much I appreciate this! :)

Edit: Ordered a kit, I will let you know when I have it, then we can go from there, on what UV led's to buy etc.. Thank you!

Edit: I absolutely love the brightness of the ones you made! (the brighter the better!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts