Kia Optima Forums banner

Custom Glowing Emblem

[DIY] : 
20K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Fran H. 
#1 ·
Thought i would drop some pic's of my first lighting mod. I ran this off the battery till i decide what i want to tap into for powering the full set up, i already switched out all my interior lights to red led's and also planning foot well red lights too. Right now i'm just using a basic red 5mm radio shack led but i want to upgrade to a RGB multi color led set up with a controller for everything. Let me know what you guys think.

Vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Car Bumper
Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior Mid-size car

Metal
I made 2 cardboard templates using the emblems i pulled off the car thanks to the forums, and using some left over plexi glass i start to make my plates.

Red Glass Windshield Automotive window part Art
I lay out a rough outline to get close to the shape i want but leaving a little room to clean up the edges and shape them.

After cutting them out with a jigsaw i drill out the holes for the emblem pegs to fit into and put the emblem on to draw my outline using a black marker i trace around the emblems and pop the emblems back off then begin to shape the plates using my drill with a sanding attachment.

[i took most of these photos after finishing the project here i use the cardboard template]
Drum Percussion Drumhead Drums
Technology Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim Fictional character

Once i get the shape i want i wire up the car for the led i came in on the right next to the battery under the plastic guard if your wire is stiff enough you should be able to run it from left to right to the center near the hood latch and out the front and connect everything up. i put a hole in the middle of my plexiglass plate for the led to rest in i put on the emblem and reattach with 3m double sided tape.

Vehicle Auto part Car Hood Automotive exterior

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
#8 ·
Ordered the RGB leds today with a controller for the emblems and wheels. Set me back $65.00 from superbrightleds.com i went with this weatherproof strip High Power RGB LED Weatherproof Flexible Light Strips - WFLS-RGB | Color Changing RGB LED Strip Lights | LED Light Strips & Light Bars | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs i got 2 of the copper 39" and 1 Wireless Remote RGB Controller with Key Fobs | LED Controller & LED Dimmers | LED Light Strips & Light Bars | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs Now i just need to get my hands on something to make my rings and brackets out off and when the led's come in i'll put it together with some photo's.

#14 ·
Thought i would drop some pic's of my first lighting mod. I ran this off the battery till i decide what i want to tap into for powering the full set up, i already switched out all my interior lights to red led's and also planning foot well red lights too. Right now i'm just using a basic red 5mm radio shack led but i want to upgrade to a RGB multi color led set up with a controller for everything. Let me know what you guys think.

View attachment 116081 View attachment 116089

View attachment 116105 I made 2 cardboard templates using the emblems i pulled off the car thanks to the forums, and using some left over plexi glass i start to make my plates.

View attachment 116113 I lay out a rough outline to get close to the shape i want but leaving a little room to clean up the edges and shape them.

After cutting them out with a jigsaw i drill out the holes for the emblem pegs to fit into and put the emblem on to draw my outline using a black marker i trace around the emblems and pop the emblems back off then begin to shape the plates using my drill with a sanding attachment.

[i took most of these photos after finishing the project here i use the cardboard template]
View attachment 116121 View attachment 116137 View attachment 116145

Once i get the shape i want i wire up the car for the led i came in on the right next to the battery under the plastic guard if your wire is stiff enough you should be able to run it from left to right to the center near the hood latch and out the front and connect everything up. i put a hole in the middle of my plexiglass plate for the led to rest in i put on the emblem and reattach with 3m double sided tape.

View attachment 116153
Can you tell me what LED lights you used for your emblem please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.