Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I know we've been keeping you folks waiting for this so here it goes. I don't have any pics to share just yet but I will at least give you guys a write up of my installation experience and opinion of the CREE 3200 Lumen LED Headlight/Foglight Kit from K5 Optima Store. My install was on a 2012 EX 2.4L

I. Installation

The installation of the bulbs themselves is fairly easy. Anyone who has installed an aftermarket HID kit can install these. All it takes is plugging the 2 spade connectors supplied into the slots where the stock halogen bulb connectors normally go. Once those are secure plug the other end of that into the LED driver, then plug that into the bulb. Insert the bulb into the socket and turn to secure. Simple.

The one problem, the bulb is too big to fit with the flat dust covers that some of our cars have. For the first few days of having them installed I actually rode around with my caps duct taped to the housing to try to keep dust and moisture out. I thought the solution would be to buy a set of domed dust caps but those actually had a smaller diameter than the flat ones so that was a bust. So my final solution, I purchased a 3" hole saw blade, cut out the middle of the flat cap and pushed the domed cap into that opening. Right now it's sealed with duct tape but I will seal it with some kind of sealant as soon as I have the time.

II. Light output

When I initially installed the bulbs I was really concerned about the light output. It really didn't seem to shine down the road like my HIDs did and they definately were not as bright. I began to question if they were even as bright as stock. Then one night it hit me, when I installed my HIDs in order to lessen the chance of blinding oncoming drivers I had lowered the aim of my headlight significantly. Realizing this I raised the aim back up and now I can see perfectly with them. Still not as bright as HID and I have yet to do an actual comparison to stock halogen but very decent light output.

III. Color

My headlights and Foglights finally match!!! The color is spot on with the cree foglight bulbs I also bough from K5 so I'm very pleased with the look.

Overall I am very happy with these bulbs so far. I will make sure to post some pics by this weekend of light comparison and my dust cap modification. If you guys have any questions, please let me know.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
29,061 Posts
Thank you so much for this review. Glad to see the first review coming in.

We seem to be having a fitment issue with some models with the actual bulbs fitting into the housings inner diameter.

I am curious as to how some customers are not having this issue, where others are. Was there any fitment issue with inserting the bulb itself into the housing?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
41 Posts
Very interested in seeing some pics of the mods for the install. And a term impression on the brightness and overall satisfaction on the set up. It sounds like your original bulbs were H11B? No issue with the bulb fitment into the socket?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a really snug fit but as long as I put it in straight it goes in just fine. I've had them in and out several times and have never not been able to get them in.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Pics please!! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks great! Thanks for the write up and pics Jay_B. K5OS whenever there available again I'm ready for my set ☺

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
29,061 Posts
Here's a few I took when I first installed. Will get comparison shots this weekend.

View attachment 142826 View attachment 142834 View attachment 142842
Wow these pics look amazing!! even better than I had imagined. Can you post these images in our FS thread as well to let others see?

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/1...-headlight-fog-light-kit-k5-optima-store.html

Looks great! Thanks for the write up and pics Jay_B. K5OS whenever there available again I'm ready for my set ☺
:iagree: The issue we are having is that the bulbs only seem to be fitting certain models headlight housings. We are trying to determine what the difference is between the models that fit and the ones that don't. However we are having a hard time identifying the variable between them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts