Kia Optima Forums banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
I have a 2014 SX Turbo with 48k miles. Mine creaks when the sunroof is closed and its terrible. I have to blast the music. Is there is TSB for this? Or do I have to embark on this adventure with the dealer?

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
Okay guys, finally took my car into kia for the sunroof noise. They said they will have to replace the entire assembly. I'll report back once its done. They also said its covered under warranty. My car now has 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
I got my car back, the noise is gone. They said the sunroof had broken clips or something and that it was in really rough shape. The car is now a pleasure to drive. Hopefully the noise does not come back.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
66 Posts
God the noise is incredibly annoying. I also have this really bad rattle creak sound coming from the upper dash/windshield area when the climate control is not on. Its like there's a loose piece of plastic in there bouncing around. It is freakin annoying as well.The difference with luxury cars is when you bring it for service, no questions asked and they repair it, as long as its under warranty. I had a Q5 with the panoramic sunroof and it did creak and they kept the car for 3 days while they fixed it and I got a Q5 loaner in the mean time. No justification for why they should fix the rattle. The warranty is less but everything is covered during the warranty period, none of this only the nav is covered 3/36, etc.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but figure it's better than posting a new one entirely. Has anyone had their creak/rattle completely go away without the entire thing being replaced? I have a '15 Optima SXL with the pano roof but I'm the second owner so I'm out of warranty. There was a recent TSB (Jan 2019) for sunroof creaking which I did myself (partially brought down headliner, added felt tape to crossmember, used loctite and retightened the bolts), but the creaking/popping sound persists. I didn't check the side rails to see if they were loose, because I didn't have the headliner completely down enough for them to be accessible.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,370 Posts
Not necessarily when the roof is closed, so don't know whether it will help, especially if there might be a broken part, but ours didn't open properly and made a noise when the roof started to move, so did a sunroof reset and all has been fine for years.
Many will experience the problem after the battery was disconnected, or went dead, and the reset did the trick.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Yeah, I think mine is a different problem, I hear it mainly when the roof is closed or vented, and have not had any issues opening or closing it. Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to try to pull down the headliner again. If anyone has any tips on removal it would be appreciated. :\

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
475 Posts
Yeah, I think mine is a different problem, I hear it mainly when the roof is closed or vented, and have not had any issues opening or closing it. Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to try to pull down the headliner again. If anyone has any tips on removal it would be appreciated. :\
EDIT: I've got to oil my Forum ADD and read better. With Vented Top or window my idea below wouldn't apply.
FYI to any others who run out of guesses.
In my case Window Down made Flutter Stop AND I'd hear a Whoosh of pressured air escaping when window lowered.

My Fix Tkt said they removed Roof Insulation and in a year I've heard the flutter once just briefly.
It miraculously showed its Loudest/Worst right when the tech went on a demo drive last Feb to see IF I could make the Flutter happen. No AC, No fan, nothing On, but it happened.

Per Last Resort, See what is up there re: Insulation. I don't have extra road noise, etc. now for something being removed BUT it's a one-in-a-million thing to remember if they have trouble diagnosing your Fix.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but figure it's better than posting a new one entirely. Has anyone had their creak/rattle completely go away without the entire thing being replaced? I have a '15 Optima SXL with the pano roof but I'm the second owner so I'm out of warranty. There was a recent TSB (Jan 2019) for sunroof creaking which I did myself (partially brought down headliner, added felt tape to crossmember, used loctite and retightened the bolts), but the creaking/popping sound persists. I didn't check the side rails to see if they were loose, because I didn't have the headliner completely down enough for them to be accessible.
Could you attach a copy of the TSB? Alldatadiy doesn't have it and i can't seem to locate another copy anywhere.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Could you attach a copy of the TSB? Alldatadiy doesn't have it and i can't seem to locate another copy anywhere.
Sorry for the delay in reply. I was unable to find it online anywhere either, had to buy access to kiatechinfo.com to get a copy of this particular TSB.

Here is a copy (I was unable to attach directly to the forums because of the small max filesize limit for PDFs):

TSB BOD185 Sunroof Creak or Rattle Noise :
https://mega.nz/#!hlVhxCJK!GA2heHS5nd8VNa4nJlxF4Y2beThwOq6sW95Wpza4GSM

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
12 Posts
Brought my 2013 Optima SXL in today for servicing and mentioned that my sunroof is making the awful creaking noise. I mentioned the TSB and after the dealer's investigation, they determined that the TSB should fix it. My car is just under 60K, but I'm out of warranty by time (Feb. 2018 is when it ran out) so they are going to charge me $280 to complete the TSB work. Has anyone had success in escalating this to Kia Customer Care to get it either all or partially covered?

The noise is extremely annoying at this point and I'm willing to pay them the $280 if it will make it go away.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Brought my 2013 Optima SXL in today for servicing and mentioned that my sunroof is making the awful creaking noise. I mentioned the TSB and after the dealer's investigation, they determined that the TSB should fix it. My car is just under 60K, but I'm out of warranty by time (Feb. 2018 is when it ran out) so they are going to charge me $280 to complete the TSB work. Has anyone had success in escalating this to Kia Customer Care to get it either all or partially covered?

The noise is extremely annoying at this point and I'm willing to pay them the $280 if it will make it go away.
Consider yourself lucky. Dealer charged me $1000 to fix out of warranty and I did it because I was so frustrated.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
Hi guys,

So now my car has 67000 miles and the creak has returned, doesn't matter if its open or closed....drives me crazy. The car is super reliable but these things are the type of stuff that is gonna send me to a different brand for my next car. I have a long list of small but annoying issues that have come up. I have had to replace the tail lights multiple times for water leaks for example. Is the roof issue typical of pano roofs or did kia just cheap out in this area? Does Kia provide a warranty on repair work they have done?

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
Here's an update on my sunroof issues. I brought it in to the dealer and a print out of the TSB. They said its a good thing i brought the TSB because they didnt even know about it ?. So they said they have to order the part and they will call me when the part comes in. a week goes by and no call. So I call them to inquire about the part and they said its on backorder. They ask me to give them some time. A few days go by and no change. I call them and they are asking me to come back to the dealership so they can take pictures to send to Kia Corporate to elevate the issue. I wonder if its on back order because kia no longer supports this model as much or if they have so many requests for the part that its tough to keep up.

I guess for now I will continue to be driven crazy by the constant and unyielding noise.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Here's an update on my sunroof issues. I brought it in to the dealer and a print out of the TSB. They said its a good thing i brought the TSB because they didnt even know about it ?. So they said they have to order the part and they will call me when the part comes in. a week goes by and no call. So I call them to inquire about the part and they said its on backorder. They ask me to give them some time. A few days go by and no change. I call them and they are asking me to come back to the dealership so they can take pictures to send to Kia Corporate to elevate the issue. I wonder if its on back order because kia no longer supports this model as much or if they have so many requests for the part that its tough to keep up.

I guess for now I will continue to be driven crazy by the constant and unyielding noise.
Interesting... What part are they referring to? The crossmember piece? The TSB just says to remove it and apply felt tape basically, not replace it completely. The only parts on my work order with the dealer for this TSB were replacement headliner clips that broke off

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
Interesting... What part are they referring to? The crossmember piece? The TSB just says to remove it and apply felt tape basically, not replace it completely. The only parts on my work order with the dealer for this TSB were replacement headliner clips that broke off
Thanks for pointing this out! So i called the service department and they said they implemented the felt tape but it did not fix the issue. They said there are broken parts in my sunroof that need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
Dealer finally applied the fixes to my sunroof and replaced some of the parts. Did not fix the issue. Sunroof noise is still there and super loud and driving crazy. The service department actually noticed that the problem was not fixed, and they said they will have to elevate it to KIA again to see if I can get a full sunroof replacement..again.

Seems like pano sunroof issue is major because the service manager took me aside and showed me a huge box. Told me inside is a full new sunroof for a KIA Sportage. He said he has a customer that came back numerous times for the same issue before KIA authorized a full sunroof replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have experienced a "popping" or "creaking" noise coming from my sunroof since around the 37k mark on my 2013 Optima SXL. I currentIy have 92k on the car. I began taking it in to Kia service and complaining about the issue while it was under warranty. After numerous trips to dealer (~7 trips) and lubricating, the headliner was removed. They re-torqued the fasteners for the sun roof casing and added loc-tite to fasteners. I visited the dealership while they had the headliner out and after re-torquing. The sound was gone! They removed the windshield and replaced the headliner with a new one. This was all done at 68k miles and out of warranty. It was still covered due to the fact that it had been an ongoing issue prior to warranty expiration. The popping noise returned after less than a month post-repair. I have been by the dealership since a couple of times and their only solution at this point is to replace the entire sunroof assembly. After reading through forums, I may attempt to remove the headliner myself and put some type of gasket material between the cross member and where it joins to the sunroof casing. That is the only solution that I've read that seems to work. I like a lot of things about my SXL but this sunroof noise has turned me off of KIA for life. It is impossible to have a nice quiet ride with this issue. I'll either attempt to fix it or keep the radio volume high enough to drown out the noise. I'd love to get rid of the car but the trade in value on these cars are crap. I'd be hard pressed to find someone to buy it privately with the excessive noise coming from the roof.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
36 Posts
I guess I've been "lucky" - my noise has not come back in 6 months or so since I took it to the dealer for a fix. Unfortunately cost me $1k because I was out of warranty. It still creaks sometimes when there is a temperature swing but it's not the constant popping noise I had before. My headliner was not replaced.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts