Kia Optima Forums banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 170
2,115 Posts
I had the same issue and after two trips to the dealer they finally got it right. They had to remove the headliner and sunroof completely and then re torque it back down to factory specs. Almost as if it came from factory a little off.
I finally got mine fixed yesterday. It started with a little over 5k miles on my US built 2013 and has been driving me nuts for the past 10 months. This never happened on my Korean built 2011.

I asked them to remove the headliner and torque the nuts down as per your experience. When I picked it up, they said they heard the noise, the bolts were loose and the problem was fixed. They said it probably came off the line that way. It feels like a new car again.

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
Weird things are happening to mine now. First, the shade mingled and did not open all the way. I closed it and worked fine ever since. Another day I was opening the roof and heard a lough crack. I checked the glass and it seems ok, just squeaking a little.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Weird things are happening to mine now. First, the shade mingled and did not open all the way. I closed it and worked fine ever since. Another day I was opening the roof and heard a lough crack. I checked the glass and it seems ok, just squeaking a little.
The shade on my 2011 did that a few times. Of course it never happened for the dealer. Anyway, one corner of the shade would stick, but would free up if I closed it and reopened it as you said. It would work fine for a few weeks or even months after that. One time it let loose before I realize it was stuck and it made a loud "cracking" sound as retracted.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,325 Posts
I finally got mine fixed yesterday. It started with a little over 5k miles on my US built 2013 and has been driving me nuts for the past 10 months. This never happened on my Korean built 2011.

I asked them to remove the headliner and torque the nuts down as per your experience. When I picked it up, they said they heard the noise, the bolts were loose and the problem was fixed. They said it probably came off the line that way. It feels like a new car again.
Keep an eye on it though. I've had the issue happen twice since the first time they fixed it. Seems to keep doing it over time.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
This seems to happen to me when its cold outside.

I thought it was just an all around issue but became super apparent during this spring as temps bounced back and forth. I would leave early in the morning with cold weather and have the usaual annoying creak...as I left work in the afternoon it was gone.

Now that its warm consistently I have had no creaking..I am going to wait till it gets cold again and see if it begins. If so Ill head to the dealer.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima
236 Posts
I have had quite a few optima's at work with creaky sunroofs. I remove the headliner and remove every screw that holds the sunroof in. I apply red lock tite to each screw and re-torque. I have never had one come back after doing that procedure. I've even done the same thing to a couple Cadenzas already.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,325 Posts
I have had quite a few optima's at work with creaky sunroofs. I remove the headliner and remove every screw that holds the sunroof in. I apply red lock tite to each screw and re-torque. I have never had one come back after doing that procedure. I've even done the same thing to a couple Cadenzas already.
Yeah I'm not sure why it keeps happening every 8-10 months on my Optima. The dealer has been quick to address it though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine only creaks in the winter. Now that the weather is warmer, no more creaks. Every time I booked a warranty inspection with Kia, it's an unusually warm day. I guess I'll try again next winter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine started creaking when it got cold, and of course I put off taking it in until it warmed up, at which point it had stopped. The dealer lubed it to try to take care of it anyway, but now it's intermittent. Before, it had to be below 60, now it's done it even at 80+ degrees. I'm going to be taking it back in anyway, so I'll have to mention this to them.

Of course, the paperwork when I got it back had, in the comments for that complaint, that "squeaks and rattles" are considered adjustments and are only covered for the first 12/12; the car is a 2011 with 44k on it, so it's well out of that...

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Have 33k on mine and they took care of it.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima
236 Posts
Mine started creaking when it got cold, and of course I put off taking it in until it warmed up, at which point it had stopped. The dealer lubed it to try to take care of it anyway, but now it's intermittent. Before, it had to be below 60, now it's done it even at 80+ degrees. I'm going to be taking it back in anyway, so I'll have to mention this to them.

Of course, the paperwork when I got it back had, in the comments for that complaint, that "squeaks and rattles" are considered adjustments and are only covered for the first 12/12; the car is a 2011 with 44k on it, so it's well out of that...
At my dealer we cover squeaks and rattles under the 5/60 warranty. Its kind of a touchy conversation to have with a customer as far as telling them its only covered 12/12 and at the same time it depends whats causing the rattle. Is something broke and that is what is causing the rattling noise, so then we have to tear it apart and see whats going on. If you make it that far and you are there then you might as well fix it. That makes the customer happy and will hopefully keep them coming back. We as the dealer have to get the customers to come in and continue to return for service. Aftermarket shops have the advantage due to their cheaper prices so we have to prove/show the customer why it is worth them to pay the little bit extra to come to the dealer for service. One example would be " Mr Customer squeaks and rattles are technically only covered 12/12 through Kia but we are going to take care of this repair for you at no charge even though you have 40k on your vehicle." It honestly just depends on your dealer. I hope you get your issue resolved if you need to call Kia Consumer Affairs and they should get it taken care of for you, no one wants to listen to squeaks and rattles from their sunroof.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree completely. I'm not too worried, as I've been a customer of this 'family' of dealerships for six years. I took my Jeep to their Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep service center, even though I didn't buy it from them, for every service, with the exception of two oil changes, the first one and one when I was out of town (also had a rear diff service then), and tires. Outside of those four things, they did every bit of the maintenance and repair on that Jeep. They took great care of me throughout, and they constantly ran specials for $20-25 oil changes, tire rotation was cheap, and they always did their best to keep my costs down. I went to the same service advisor every time, and of course we built a rapport. I knew I could trust her and she wouldn't try to screw me over. The day I decided the Jeep wasn't worth fixing again, she handed me off to her favorite sales rep, and she was great too. I test drove vehicles on their lot, one that had just been taken on trade and hadn't been cleaned yet, and we drove it down the street to their Hyundai lot, where I found my Optima. She ran in, got the paperwork, had me drive it back to Chrysler, transferred it to her inventory, and I took it home that evening.

So far, though their prices are a little higher, the KIA dealership has been as good.

I've got to take it back, for the third time, because it still squeals. It was actually better before I took it in, because at least then, it only happened when it was cold.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bringing up this thread because my 2013 SXL is also making the creaking noise. Did not research this issue before I took it into the dealer. After the guy spent two hours with no charge to me (probably because I had to change my brake pads as well), he determined that it was the railings in the sunroof area. He tried to put in some foam to cushion it but it did not work. When I called again to tell them that the sounds were still there, they asked me to bring it in again. But this time they wanted to charge me labor and fees. For those that have brought this in, was this covered under their 100K or 10 year warranty? I think it should since it's not a wear and tear item.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
1,663 Posts
Bringing up this thread because my 2013 SXL is also making the creaking noise. Did not research this issue before I took it into the dealer. After the guy spent two hours with no charge to me (probably because I had to change my brake pads as well), he determined that it was the railings in the sunroof area. He tried to put in some foam to cushion it but it did not work. When I called again to tell them that the sounds were still there, they asked me to bring it in again. But this time they wanted to charge me labor and fees. For those that have brought this in, was this covered under their 100K or 10 year warranty? I think it should since it's not a wear and tear item.
The 10year/100k usually only covers the power train like the engine. The body and interior(sunroof) is covered from 5year/60k, and the radio is only covered for 3year/36k.

·
Premium Member
4,420 Posts
So you're saying the service guy tried to pull a fast one on me?
Basically he's saying that it should be cover under the 5 yr warranty if your SXL have not reach that 5 yr period as of yet, so yes I would go back and ask them about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
55 Posts
OMFG I have a 2013 Optima SX the sunroof in my ceiling creaks as well! No need to be descriptive about it. Doesn't matter, high or slow speeds it still creaks!!!!
Its so annoying i figured it's because of the panoramic sunroof and also its a freaking KIA. Pay for what you get. I thought I was the only one. Wish they had a recall on this. Does anybody know the cause of this? Any remedies?

We all ready know its from turns or anything involving the suspension that causes a domino effect to the roof of the car to cause the top to produce the creaking noise!

·
Registered
38 Posts
OMFG I have a 2013 Optima SX the sunroof in my ceiling creaks as well! No need to be descriptive about it. Doesn't matter, high or slow speeds it still creaks!!!!
Its so annoying i figured it's because of the panoramic sunroof and also its a freaking KIA. Pay for what you get. I thought I was the only one. Wish they had a recall on this. Does anybody know the cause of this? Any remedies?

We all ready know its from turns or anything involving the suspension that causes a domino effect to the roof of the car to cause the top to produce the creaking noise!
Lol. Don't feel that bad. After doing research on the Internets, this happens to expensive cars like BMW's as well. It makes their luxurious car sound like a piece of **** that's about to tear apart. :)

121 - 140 of 163 Posts