Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an issue with the sunroof creaking (when closed)? It has gotten progressively worse. The car is two months old with ~3800 miles on the odometer. I suppose I should have the dealer look at it - but I've never had any luck with dealers and creaks/rattles.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anyone have an issue with the sunroof creaking (when closed)? It has gotten progressively worse. The car is two months old with ~3800 miles on the odometer. I suppose I should have the dealer look at it - but I've never had any luck with dealers and creaks/rattles.
YES! And it drives me absolutely insane! I have an appointment for my first service this week, and my service guy told me it is not normal and they will look at it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have heard my creak as well. (as well as the need to perform a rest on the button to open). I will bring this up with the dealership, hopefully next week or the week after with my oil change.. currently about 3300KM's

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe the actual car kind of warps when going over bumps at an angle. This causes the sunroof to creak since there is only rubber that creates a water tight seal between the glass and metal of the car. I don't think theres a fix for this, it's just a manufacture... defect? ehh

·
Registered
179 Posts
I believe the actual car kind of warps when going over bumps at an angle. This causes the sunroof to creak since there is only rubber that creates a water tight seal between the glass and metal of the car. I don't think theres a fix for this, it's just a manufacture... defect? ehh
My creak is way more than going over bumps at an angle, it's any and every bump (big or small) straight or at an angle. And it's extremely loud. I've owned well over 20 cars in my life, and my last two had pano sunroofs as well, and have never had this issue.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I haven't noticed mine creaking, but my Audi Q7's panoramic sunroof used to drive me crazy. I had it in the dealer multiple times with no fix. Then, the service manage sprayed some silicon lubricant in the seals and it was all fixed. I'm not saying this will work on the Optima's, but it may be worth a shot. Like I said, it was all that was needed on my huge Audi sunroof.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine started creaking with large speed bumps/driveway entrances, but now it creaks all the time. If the car is moving - the sunroof is creaking.

@55cadillacking: I might try the silicon lubricant. It's worth a shot. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone tried the silicone spray trick yet? Has the roof stopped squeaking? I have the same issue too (fairly minor but still annoying!).

Pictures of where you sprayed would be very useful.

·
Registered
366 Posts
When i worked at Acura they used to put lithium grease around the sun roofs to get them to stop making noise.

Make ure u get a grease thats ok to use on rubber!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sprayed the main gasket with silicone lubricant, and it quieted it down for a day or two. It still creaked a little, but it was an improvement. After a few days it went back to creaking normally. In the last few weeks it's gotten worse. It's pretty annoying now. I guess I'll have to visit the dealer soon.

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,434 Posts
Silicone spray is a short-term solution and will only last a few days as a few of you have learned. As someone stated above, you need to find a lithium grease that is safe on rubber and that shouldn't be hard to find. The grease will last far longer (months) than a silicone spray!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not the sunroof but a creak on the left side driver window door. I'll have a make an apointment with the dealer.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Not the sunroof but a creak on the left side driver window door. I'll have a make an apointment with the dealer.
I had the same problem. the service writer blamed my tints :rolleyes: they always find something to blame. anyways I made sure he knew it was not the tints. so he sprayed a little silicon on it and I think it's starting to come back.

as to the OP I think I saw a TSB on this. I will look into it when I have time and get back to you all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes, my sunroof has started creaking too and it's driving me insane. Glad to know I'm not the only one...will be mentioning it to the dealer next time I'm in.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts