Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 SXL
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've never had any issues with my 2016 SXL starting since I purchased it 2.5 years ago. But today I had 2 very strange occurrences when trying to start it.
A) This morning when leaving for work, nothing happened when I pressed the 'Start' button. The lights were all on, dash on, headlights, etc. So I tried to get out, lock the door, & try again. But doors wouldn't lock, remote wasn't doing anything, etc. I finally had to press Start/Stop button a couple times to get everything to turn off, then get out, lock & unlock, and try again. This time it started and I drove to work fine.
B) When leaving work today, though, upon pushing 'Start' everything went HAYWIRE! All of the interior & exterior lights, along with the dash & radio started rapidly and randomly flashing like crazy and wouldn't stop. It was like being in a disco or something! I had to keep pushing the Start/Stop until they finally cut out. I got out, locked & unlocked, and this time had to hold down the Start button for a bit for it to slowly turn over (I've never had to hold it down). It then drove home fine.

- What the heck?!? Any ideas???

I'll try to see if I can get it in to the dealership tomorrow, but they generally need an appointment. Just worried now about getting stuck somewhere, or it transforming into a laser-light show while driving or something.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,845 Posts
"slowly turned over" = bad battery

It's pretty easy to swap the battery yourself, and you can find them at local car parts stores, or even Walmart.

·
Registered
2016 SXL
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, thanks for the replies! I took it to a Pep Boys this morning, and the test showed it was going bad under load.

So quick opinion poll:
A) Pep Boys had a 'Champion' AGM battery with 48 mo. warranty for about $150-200 or so.
B) Can get an Optima Yellow Top (H6-48) w 36 mo. warranty for about $275.

- Optima battery worth the extra cost & shorter warranty so that battery name matches car (and the sweet yellow top)??? Not familiar w battery brands.

Thx!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unless you have serious power needs or excessive vibration/temperature you're just wasting your money on a AGM.

·
Registered
2016 SXL
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I went with the Champion from Pep Boys. It was on sale for $170 OTD and had 1yr longer warranty than Optima (and what looks like one of longest warranties on a battery).

Bummed that once I purchased it, they told me it would b $100 for them to swap it in! Pffft. They said I had to purchase through the service dept rather than in the store (confusing) to get free install. But service wouldn't honor the sale price! Sheesh.

So I borrowed a 10mm & 12mm socket from nice salesman and had it swapped out in about 3 min.

- Now the manual says I need to reset a bunch of things when battery is disconnected (windows, sunroof, trip computer, seat memory, etc). But it doesn't say HOW to reset these things. Should I ignore?

It 'seems' like everything is working OK w new battery. Fortunately, radio didn't lose presets or anything. Only thing I noticed was the 2 trip memory displays were reset. This one bummed me out as I had the 'B' trip set to when I purchased the car. No way to restore that I suppose?!?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, I had the same issue when my battery went bad.
It was like flashing lights and clicks at a dance place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts