Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 kia optima 2011 optima lx
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a 15 min drive last night with no issues and park for no more then ten minutes and come back out and car starts right up. It's idling for about 5 min and dies. I try and restart and have no luck. The car cranks hard and battery is only 2 months old. I have a family member bring a gallon of gas for shits and giggles so the car sits about 20 min. I add the gas and it starts after a couple cranks. I go top off the tank and drive home with no other issues. This morning drive the 2 blocks to grab coffee and on the way back it loses power and dies. I'm able to coast in neutral and restart. I do this about 5 times and make it home. Go out hours later to check it and it fires right up no problem. But then I pop the throttle twice and it dies and won't restart. I was able to spray gas down the throttle body and it started for a moment. Any ideas? High pressure fuel pump? FYI I just had the cat replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago. I don't really want to through a $600 fuel pump at it if that's not it. The feeling while driving can be described like after you seafoam and engine and try and floor it and it just pops and falls on its face. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
10 Posts
When you have the no start issue and spray carb clean/starter fluid in the intake and the car starts for a few, the evidence here is pointing towards a fuel delivery problem. Yes, the fuel pump could be the problem, so can a few other things. Do you have a scan tool? There should be a data PID for fuel rail pressure. I would start there to determine if there is adequate fuel pressure in the rail.

·
Registered
2011 kia optima 2011 optima lx
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding. So I eneed up taking it to the dealer and the in tank fuel pump failed. Part is due in Monday or Tuesday. Best part is I have a extended warranty I did t know existed so i only pay $50. Hopefully that's the fix.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
111 Posts
Went for a 15 min drive last night with no issues and park for no more then ten minutes and come back out and car starts right up. It's idling for about 5 min and dies. I try and restart and have no luck. The car cranks hard and battery is only 2 months old. I have a family member bring a gallon of gas for shits and giggles so the car sits about 20 min. I add the gas and it starts after a couple cranks. I go top off the tank and drive home with no other issues. This morning drive the 2 blocks to grab coffee and on the way back it loses power and dies. I'm able to coast in neutral and restart. I do this about 5 times and make it home. Go out hours later to check it and it fires right up no problem. But then I pop the throttle twice and it dies and won't restart. I was able to spray gas down the throttle body and it started for a moment. Any ideas? High pressure fuel pump? FYI I just had the cat replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago. I don't really want to through a $600 fuel pump at it if that's not it. The feeling while driving can be described like after you seafoam and engine and try and floor it and it just pops and falls on its face. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Funny I just wrote up a post the other day with similar issues as you with my 2012. So far looking like a fuel pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts