Kia Optima Forums banner

Crank Pulley DIY for 2.0T

[DIY] : 
14K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Xterra808 
#1 · (Edited)
Purchased the Unorthodox Racing Pulley from Throwdown Performance. Unorthodox Racing Pulley Sets - Throwdown Performance - Throwdown Performance - The Race Starts & Finishes Here!

You can perform this install in your garage or outside; however, if you have a place like DIY Garage with a lift, it’ll make this install a half hour cake walk.
DIY Garage Indy
DIY Garage Texas
DIY Garage California
DIY Garage Missouri
DIY Garage Orlando

Tools needed:
1: A jack or hoist (if not using a lift)
2: Sockets: 10mm for the under tray bolts and 22MM impact socket for the crank pulley bolt.
3: A long 17mm box end wrench for the belt tensioner pulley bolt.
4: Standard Philips screwdriver for the under tray screws.

Here is the new lightweight crank pulley

You want to get the car up high enough to give yourself room to get to the (8) 10mm bolts and (6) screws that hold up both halves of the under tray. Also if you are not doing this on a lift, you may wish to remove the front passenger tire as well. (picture shown is my car on lift with half the under tray removed and most of the other)

Image from underneath the car of the belt and pulley system. Once you get the under tray cover off, use the 22MM socket and impact gun to remove the crank pulley bolt.

This is what we will be doing (see diagram). To loosen the belt (A), release the tension via the tensioner pulley (B), just above and to the right of the crank pulley. You can access it best from the top of the engine. With the long 17mm box end wrench on the bolt, push back towards the firewall, it won’t take much and then maneuver the belt off the lower crank pulley keeping it secured up and out of the way.

Once you get the belt out of the way, simply grab the pulley with your hand and pull it off the crank. It is THAT easy! Now line up the new crank pulley with the built in key and press it onto the crank evenly.

Re-install the crank pulley bolt, hitting it just a bit with the 22mm impact wrench and re-install the belt, using the long 17mm box end wrench to tighten it up (pull towards front of car).

Go ahead and start up your car to see that everything's on correctly, then re-install the under tray in the reverse order you took it off. And put the front passenger tire back on if you previously removed it.

Install takes about half an hour to 45 minutes tops to complete. I can certainly say I feel a difference when revving the engine. Theoretically this should allow the throttle to spool quicker and/or easier. I have many mods on my car so I was unable to personally confirm or deny this. Good luck and enjoy!

See less See more
#4 ·
#5 ·
DIY Orlando (a lot of us are in Florida) DitY Auto Repair
Added Orlando. Thanks for the update!

Right on William, I hear ya! Turns out there is a DIY Garage USA at 5094 Clinton Hwy, Knoxville, TN. Just cant find a website for them to link them.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Awesome, can't wait to find one available in the classifieds. Now how about one for the alternator pulley. Found a site that sells the special tool for that and it wasn't too expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.