1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having some issues with my 2013 Kia Optima SX 2.0 Turbo

Takes a while to start up, cranking
Sometimes it starts at 2k rpm at idle
Car jolts when accelerating, ive been driving really slow lately because of it. But it doesnt go past 2.5k rpm and starts to sputter

I checked under the hood and noticed there was a crack in the HPFP and one of the bolts was stripped and pops out. Not sure how it happened. Do you guys think it is just the HPFL that will need to be replaced? Or something else going on with it. CEL is on and code is attached.

I noticed there was a recall for the low pressure fuel line and was hoping that it was this but it guessing its not the same thing

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,610 Posts
When the bolts for the HPFP are installed/removed, they are to be turned alternately to keep equal pressure on the base of the pump, and sorry to say not the same as the fuel line leak. Hopefully the threads in the flange aren't stripped, so remove the fuel line, then the pump to see what needs to be repaired, but get the fuel pressure out of the line first.
Those pumps aren't cheap, but a used one maybe $80/$100 depending on your location, RockAuto $220 + shipping. If going thru RA let me know and I have a 5% discount good for another couple months, just can't get to it at the present time. Don't forget a new gasket if you get a pump w/o one.

In case you need it, RA code 183077833143008581 in how did you hear about us, 10/24/21.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the bolts for the HPFP are installed/removed, they are to be turned alternately to keep equal pressure on the base of the pump, and sorry to say not the same as the fuel line leak. Hopefully the threads in the flange aren't stripped, so remove the fuel line, then the pump to see what needs to be repaired, but get the fuel pressure out of the line first.
Those pumps aren't cheap, but a used one maybe $80/$100 depending on your location, RockAuto $220 + shipping. If going thru RA let me know and I have a 5% discount good for another couple months, just can't get to it at the present time. Don't forget a new gasket if you get a pump w/o one.

In case you need it, RA code 183077833143008581 in how did you hear about us, 10/24/21.
Thanks for the reply Turbonut. I would be too nervous to replace it + wait on shipping so I think I'm going to just take it to the dealer and have it done since they have the part in stock. They are charging $580 for the pump itself so I'll just wait to see what they come back...Worst case maybe I get the quote from then and then take it to another shop to do it

I did check and flange and I do believe those are stripped. Because the threads within the screw itself is not

1 - 3 of 3 Posts