Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,548 Posts
Hope you mean 50/50 when checked diagonally as 50/50 F/R is impossible. Really a waste of time in a street car and guess you have adjustable coil overs to get the 50/50 diagonal and don't forget 1/2 tank of gas.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
978 Posts
LOL it reminds me of how some folks back in the day were so OCD about making sure that when installing spark plugs they were indexed correctly--a futile exercise IMHO if/when done on a daily driver street car. But hey, to each his own; it's not my place to be telling someone what he should or shouldn't (need to) be doing with his car...

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL it reminds me of how some folks back in the day were so OCD about making sure that when installing spark plugs they were indexed correctly--a futile exercise IMHO if/when done on a daily driver street car. But hey, to each his own; it's not my place to be telling someone what he should or shouldn't (need to) be doing with his car...
It's probably important to mention that I've been building this car to start doing AutoX with it. I was supposed to be going for my first time ever to the track and meet people this weekend, but with COVID, that's all cancelled for the near future. :(

I also do drive decently aggressive and enjoy taking corners at higher speeds as well as fun on the highways.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,548 Posts
Better get a rear wheel drive vehicle. I've watched front wheel drive vehicles taking turns and the inside rear wheel comes off the ground, and they are setup race cars. FWD is terrible.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Better get a rear wheel drive vehicle. I've watched front wheel drive vehicles taking turns and the inside rear wheel comes off the ground, and they are setup race cars. FWD is terrible.
Good luck.
Just for fun, not for putting my name on leaderboards or money. Just to have some fun at a track and meet some new friends. Learn more about cornering and upping my overall driver skills. Also to do it less on the real roads and keep it on the track.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,548 Posts
I agree, one doesn't need to lead the pack, so you'll have a great time, meet some interesting people and have some fun along the way.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
978 Posts
Good luck.
Ah c'mon Turbonut--that kind of suggestion is sorta like telling someone who might be interested in recreational drag racing that they better get a rear-wheel drive vehicle if they're really interested in drag racing for fun... ;)

You probably already know I'm just messing with you so please don't take the above comment too seriously... :cool:

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,548 Posts
Ah c'mon Turbonut--that kind of suggestion is sorta like telling someone who might be interested in recreational drag racing that they better get a rear-wheel drive vehicle if they're really interested in drag racing for fun... ;)

You probably already know I'm just messing with you so please don't take the above comment too seriously... :cool:
Actually thought is was a newbie that had a fart pipe on their car and with the corner balancing maybe another Dale Earnhart want to be, then when I read the reply, low and behold saw it was Laguna, our favorite detail center and then swallowed hard.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,548 Posts
TurboNut,

Better get a rear wheel drive?????

All I have to say to that is "Mini Cooper"......;);););).
Am I to believe that a Mini with a 60/40 weight distribution would handle better than a comparable 2700# RWD setup with 50/50, or even better? See the Mini has a .86 g skid pad result and the Optima .80 g, not a really big difference, but both still poor.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am showing my age....I meant the ORIGINAL Mini-Cooper 1275S, properly kitted out ;) . Not the bloated BMW namesake(n)!

55 years later, Paddy Hopkirk’s 1964 Monte Carlo Rally win is still the greatest racing underdog story | Hagerty Media

I owned one.....more fun than a box of frogs in the twisties ;). When my, now missus (A Yank) came over to see me in the UK, I showed up at Heathrow Airport with it.
She thought it was a clown car and it scared the crap out of her being so low to the ground. But she grew to love it and couldn't believe how quick it was and how it handled.

If you ever get the chance, drive one.....the handling is something to behold with its quick, directly connected steering. Lotsa mods for them as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts