Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima 2.4 LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere on the forum that optima engines are like Mitsubishi engines. I was wondering if a coil on plug ignition system would work on an optima or is that a waste of money & time. I’m new to having a Kia & I want to know the extent of what I can do. Let me know! Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
Have you gotten specific numbers on any HP gains you would get from a coil on plug ignition system? I have the SX so I already have that system installed, but I am suspicious that changing the spark plug ignition system would not give you much in terms of HP gains?

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
42 Posts
Thought all cars are now coil on plug. Have been for years and years.

Don't think theirs any other system. Never seen one that wasn't unless its an old hot rod with a distributor. Don't think theres much of a power gain with a cop it just eliminates the hassle of a coil and mechanically driven distributor and its alignment pia.

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
67 Posts
I had a 1998 Ford Mustang Cobra (4.6l DOHC V8 engine), and they used a "waste spark" system. This had two coil packs, each with 4 ports for the plug wires. So it wasn't coil on plug, but it was distributor-less. I think by 1999 or 2000 they went to full coil on plug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts