Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Optima has the cooled seats which are awesome! I think I like them more than having heated seats. However, they only seem to cool for ~30 minutes before the cooling effect really drops off. I get that it's probably not designed to be running for hours on end, so that's likely expected behavior.

That said, does anyone know how the cooling feature actually works? Does it pipe in A/C through the seats? Anyone have any tips/tricks on how to use them more effectively? I spent 14 hours driving the last couple of days and even after turning off for several hours then turning back on, I never really felt the full cooling effect until my car had been parked overnight and I turned them on the next day.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
170 Posts
It cycles cabin air though your seat. So only "ice cold" when your pushing AC to the rear floorboards. And most long drives stop floor air after the first 30 mins or so.

And your body also gets used to it after a period of time. I usually cycle between the heat and cooling if I can help it. To maximize the cooling effect.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts
It cycles cabin air though your seat. So only "ice cold" when your pushing AC to the rear floorboards. And most long drives stop floor air after the first 30 mins or so.
(y) This the only air that moves through the seats, and actually think the seats leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(y) This the only air that moves through the seats, and actually think the seats leave a lot to be desired.
Good to know, thanks guys. Agreed there's definitely a lot to be desired. Got my car at what I think was a good price, so I won't complain too much :p

My next car will definitely have these again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
ITBH I really like the seats in my 2016 SXL. I you want junk uncomfotable seat try a Mazda 3. Being in Dallas cooled seats are almost a necessity, and for the 2 week winter we have heated seats and steering wheel are nice but not as nice as a/c seats.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
344 Posts
My 2013 Optima has the cooled seats which are awesome! I think I like them more than having heated seats...
I have never even bothered with the "cooled" seats feature, I just turn the A/C on, kinda works about 1000% better for me anyway.

Now the heated seats, I do the curbside 100% of time (and probably for some time to come) so I turn on the passenger or rear seat heater as soon as I pull out of my driveway, pickup and bring home Piping hot stuff, woohoo!

Now that, to me, is a super useful feature year round!!! Luckily my other 3 autos also have heated seats, so i have choices, more woohoo!!!!

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
170 Posts
Now I've had the thought for long trips and autocross etc. There is a product "cool shirtz" I thought about adapting the system into the seat. Providing ice cold air and contact, as long as there is ice in the system. But this would require modification, and potential water damage. So don't bite off more then you can do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think of the seats as 'ventilated', although it isn't an active cooling on the seat itself. The vents in the seat will blow whatever temperature is set on the AC (or heat). But if you want heat, the heater is a real heating element right in the seat. This time of year, I use the heated seats and heated steering wheel every morning... I will definitely look for those two features again. Ventilated seats are nice, but less noticable to me.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
344 Posts
Just for grins, on an 80+ day, with no A/C I turned on the seat 'coolers'.

Hmm, I was surprised, no I don't feel Anything on the bottom seat portion but on the back, it really does Feel cooler, wow, did not expect that!

I think I felt it on the back more because it is not always flat against the seat material like our bottoms or legs are....I'm sure on a 100+ day, it won't make a diff....A/C will be required....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts