Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 optima with the 2.0 engine. I have been smelling coolant when using the vehicle. If the it sits for a few day I notice coolant on the ground backside more towards driver side. I removed the plastic shield but can’t seem to locate the leak. Everything was dry and no green stains anywhere. I am thinking it might be leaking from the thermostat housing but it’s not wet when I feel under it. And the funny thing is that I don’t see the coolant all the time on the ground. It’s soo random but I do smell it every time the vehicle runs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
My advice on coolant system lose is to use a pressure tester on the radiator when cold. Radiator full, pump tester up to 18lbs and let sit, if it drops and no evidence, pump again.
Places like AutoZone has coolant testers as loan a tool.
Coolant can evaporate from the engine heat before it hits the ground. In some instances I've seen just the opposite from you experience as when the engine cools coolant leaks past the rubber thermostst seal, but when hot everthing expands and coolant leak is, shall we say sealed.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My advice on coolant system lose is to use a pressure tester on the radiator when cold. Radiator full, pump tester up to 18lbs and let sit, if it drops and no evidence, pump again.
Places like AutoZone has coolant testers as loan a tool.
Coolant can evaporate from the engine heat before it hits the ground. In some instances I've seen just the opposite from you experience as when the engine cools coolant leaks past the rubber thermostst seal, but when hot everthing expands and coolant leak is, shall we say sealed.
Ok great. I’ll start with the pressure test

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
Don't get discouraged as at one time took the tester to work, used it on coworker's vehicle, pumped it up, nothing, so did again and let it sit. Went out after quite a while and saw some green liquid seeping out of the heater control valve.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't get discouraged as at one time took the tester to work, used it on coworker's vehicle, pumped it up, nothing, so did again and let it sit. Went out after quite a while and saw some green liquid seeping out of the heater control valve.
Will do. Going to let the weather warm before I do this. Great info

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used the pressure tester from autozone. Put 18lbs in and found the leak. It coming from the thermostat housing where it’s sealed together. I’m guessing gasket could be shot. Doesn’t seem like a big deal to fix. Just have to drain coolant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts