Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problems connecting my Iphone using the usb function to my kia optima 2011 2.4L GDI full option. Anytime i connect it, it tries connecting then gives me a feedback of "connection failed" but i dont get this problem when connecting a samsung phone using the same usb port.

Please anyone with the idea y am facing this problem?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,191 Posts
Are you using the official Kia OEM cable, purchased from Kia? I have a 2012 car, but my manual says that special cable is needed if you want to use the USB connection to control audio through the iPhone. There is some issue in how the cable works, and the Kia cable has a special adapter or something for iPhones. I don't know for sure, never used a cable to try to connect to the car's audio, and never had an iPhone.

The fact that your samsung phone works, is pretty amazing. Can you talk more about that and how you use the cable with your phone to control the phone? I'm wondering if it's worth trying (I have a samsung too, but I never tried using a cable to connect to the car's usb port, so I don't know how that works).

But here is what my 2012 Kia manual says at page 4-136 about the iPhones:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With my samsung, i just used my usb cable and plugged it in the usb port of my kia. it will show on your screen as connecting. as soon as its done connecting it will appear on your screen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am thinking of getting the 2 in 1 charging audio cable for iphone to try it and see if it will work

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,191 Posts
I'm still trying to imagine what is happening, but get confused between what shows up on which screen.

So you plug in the phone, and then your Kia screen will display something, and then you can use your steering wheel controls to control the phone?

I'm trying to figure out if using the cable gives you a different experience compared to using bluetooth. On my car, when I connect using bluetooth, I can use the steering wheel controls to skip etc. Plus use the Kia nav screen controls to play/pause/skip etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think their software is just trash because I have issues with the bluetooth system all the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts