Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my thread on how to replace your H/U with aftermarket one and laying out the wires. Below are what was installed and where I got the items from

From Amazon:

MRP-F300 - Alpine 4-Channel 300 Watt V-Power Series Amplifier----for my 4 aftermarket speakers

Metra 70-7304 Wiring Harness for Select 2010-Up Kia and Hyundai Vehicles--- allow me to install aftermarket HU without cutting wires

Alpine SWE-1243 12" Subwoofer x2

Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface--- allow me to maintain most of my controls

MRP-M500 - Alpine Monoblock 500 Watt RMS Power Amplifier--- power my 2 subs

Alpine SPS-610 6-1/2" 2-Way Type-S Series Coaxial Car Speakers---back speakers

DB Link FB428 2-Position Fuse Block--- going 4 gauge in and splitting with 2 8 gauge out

From Best Buy:

Metra-Installation Kit for 2011 and Newer Kia Optima Vehicles-Black-99-7345B--- allow for aftermarket HU installation

From Crutchfield:

Speaker Harnesses-- allow aftermarket speakers without cutting wires.

JVC KW-NT3HDT--- the HU

***Fist need to remove the trim

***Now remove the side panel

***Remove the 3 screws

***Now remove the 2 Screws on the bottom

***Pull off the panel now

***Remove the 4 plugs allowing you to completely remove the panel

***Now that panel is removed the hidden screw hold the small trim in place

***Now remove the small piece of trim

***Remove the 4 screws hold the odometers in place, but DO NOT REMOVE IT

***Remove the 4 screws holding the A/C controls in place, but DO NOT COMPLETELY REMOVE, just want it to hang down

***Now remove the screws holding the face plate for your H/U

***Once your face plate is removed you need to take off the A/C vent to install in your new aftermarket face plate

***Now we can FINALLY remove the 4 screws that's holding the old H/U in place

***Remove your old head unit and install the aftermarket wire harness
The wire harness is color coded and you can read the words on the wires as well. Wire up the harness to the harness from your new H/U.

****Here is a pic on how I wired up speakers wire that will the ran to my new AMP to power my 4 speakers

***Now be a good time to start running your speaker wires, amp wires from the H/U to the trunk of your car

Here is how I ran my speaker wires

***If you remove the trim here and pull back the rubber you can hide a great deal of wires

***To run the amp power wires I ran it through here to I don't have to drill any holes

I ran the wire just like I did with my speaker wires. Please note you CAN NOT RUN AMP WIRES NEAR SPEAKER WIRE, this will cause a lot of feed back when the RPM's are reved up.

*** I mounted my amp on my custom sub box for better ventilation, and access
IMAG0004.jpg

***To install the door speakers just remove the 2 screws and pull on the door, and remove the cannon plug off and install your new speaker.

The Dash speakers I believe are wired with the front speakers, so all I had to do was install the bass blocker in seies to the speaker. Remove the face plate to install your new Dash Speaker

The system sounds awesome and only think left to do is build a custom sub box so I can have more trunk space. Here is a pic on how the H/U looks all installed

How this thread helps everyone on there new audio system

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Now this is what I call a DIY Guide. Awesome job !!! I did my aftermarket DVD on my 2007 Altima because of a guide like this and I had no kind of install background. Looks like a bit of work compared to the Altima but I can knock this out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Great DIY, I was waiting for this to do mine. The only thing that I don't like is the after market HU is not matching the rest of the car, just my opinion but over all great work.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Good work, but dont you think that you'll need more venting to your amps where the spare tire is?

Love this DIY, Probably should be stickied for others to find easily.

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I put the amps there the day I did this thread, the amps do not get hot at all so I don't foresee any heating problems. will find out this summer. The amp powering my subs is mono and designed to not get hot. It took me about 4 hrs to install my system, and the H/U was out of wife's car before I got her a kia sorento so I was able to save $600.00 when buying my new system.

My goal was to make a good threat and be able to give back to the community, hopefully good enough for a sticky sine there is a lot of people wanting to do this

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curious if my thread was able to help anyone put in there car system this weekend

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
418 Posts
I want to know how you got it through the grommet in the firewall. I had to go around it and I dont really like that for long term use

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to know how you got it through the grommet in the firewall. I had to go around it and I dont really like that for long term use

I used a wire hanger and went from the indide out, then just pulled the exact amont to reach my batt

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
call button, vol up and down and mode. I can later spend 50 bucks just to get volume back...not worth it to me, i can just touch my nav system to get those functions

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just put a chinese aftermarket nav (same one that BERTO installed) and I used this guide. It literally took me less than an hour to install. All I lost on my steering function was the call answer/drop buttons. I used the voice button as a MUTE button. I still have to do it again when I install the back up camera and I need to ask BERTO if he is still able to use the USB where the factory iPod connection is. It charges my iPhone/iPod but I can't listen to my music. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just put a chinese aftermarket nav (same one that BERTO installed) and I used this guide. It literally took me less than an hour to install. All I lost on my steering function was the call answer/drop buttons. I used the voice button as a MUTE button. I still have to do it again when I install the back up camera and I need to ask BERTO if he is still able to use the USB where the factory iPod connection is. It charges my iPhone/iPod but I can't listen to my music. Any thoughts?
Is it compatible?? in my aftermarket I can have my H/U control my ipod or I can control my ipod on the unit itself. If it charging then you know its got power at the port, might just be in the setting to enable ipod. Best send berty a PM and ask him

Glad my DIY made it possible for you to install your new H/U

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is it compatible?? in my aftermarket I can have my H/U control my ipod or I can control my ipod on the unit itself. If it charging then you know its got power at the port, might just be in the setting to enable ipod. Best send berty a PM and ask him

Glad my DIY made it possible for you to install your new H/U
I added the iPod cable that came with the unit and ran the cable to the glove compartment so I connected my iPod there. I usually play my music via BT from my iPhone so I just use the factory iPod cable to either charge my iPad on the go or my daughter's iTouch so this works out pretty good. Still waiting for the back up camera to arrive. It's been 3 weeks already.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I didn't see what speakers you used for the front? I'm assuming that you went with some good component speakers since you added such a great system.

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't see what speakers you used for the front? I'm assuming that you went with some good component speakers since you added such a great system.
talking to me? if so i listed all my parts in the first thread

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi guardiannite
Maybe I'm being blind/clueless here but I only saw the speakers Alpine SPS-610 mentioned for the back speakers - were they also used for the front? That was my question?
Thanks for the detailed instructions and pictures, too, which were great.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts