Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys. Long story short, I cannot get my hands a set of the NGK 1422 plugs which are required when running the tune. I know that there's GOT to be a way to cross reference and pick up a set of plugs locally that will meet the specs. that are needed when running the tune (local "shops" can't cross reference, or their computers won't let them idk). I just don't have a clue what to alternatively run. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather go this route for now than re-gap my stock plugs....at least until the NGKs are back on the shelves. Sam from BTRcc can't get a hold of them either right now. Again, thanks in advance if anyone can help!

·
Registered
2012 & 2015 Kia Optima SX & SXL
945 Posts
- HKS M40XL 2-step Colder Spark Plugs

- HKS M45XL 3-step Colder Spark Plugs

You should be fine w/ stock plugs if you didn't get your mid-pipe and cat-back done.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
- HKS M40XL 2-step Colder Spark Plugs

- HKS M45XL 3-step Colder Spark Plugs

You should be fine w/ stock plugs if you didn't get your mid-pipe and cat-back done.
Always a quick response man, thanks. You think I could get the HKS plugs from an autozone type retailer though? I can't see using my stock plugs as a "safe" alternative....

·
Registered
945 Posts
Always a quick response man, thanks. You think I could get the HKS plugs from an autozone type retailer though? I can't see using my stock plugs as a "safe" alternative....
I ran stock plugs for 9 months with 275whp tune. One plug blew just after I added 3" HFC mid-pipe.

·
Registered
945 Posts
If anything, just visit Mitsubishi dealership and get the EVO plugs. Evos use NGK 1422.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the NGKs on NAPAs website. To my surprise its only 9 miles away and they've got at least 4 in stock. Reserved and picking up in the morning. Thanks for the help and at least now I know I can use my stock plugs in the future. I got a misfire code after installing the new update from BTRcc today. A hiccup at idle every 3-4 seconds or so right after the install, then sharp hesitations as if I was tapping the brake while cruising, then the CEL. Ran the code to find out it was #2 cylinder misfire. The last time I got that code my top end was replaced and that was BEFORE the tune. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Usually sputtering and misfiring in cylinder 2 doesn't happen unless you got the exhaust done..

Sputtering/misfiring issue is the reason why I gapped my HKS from 0.027 to 0.020. So try smaller gap if your car is still misfiring. Have you checked your plug yet? Usually, misfire code won't come up unless the plug is blown..

http://www.turbosonata.com/t2278-tuned-cars-and-cly-2-issue

This thread might be helpful to you.

Unfortunately, LJ got a 300/300+ custom tune from BTRcc, and he had a misfire in cylinder 2 as well..Something went wrong with his motor since then.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Usually sputtering and misfiring in cylinder 2 doesn't happen unless you got the exhaust done..

Sputtering/misfiring issue is the reason why I gapped my HKS from 0.027 to 0.020. So try smaller gap if your car is still misfiring. Have you checked your plug yet? Usually, misfire code won't come up unless the plug is blown..

Tuned cars and cly# 2 issue

Unfortunately, LJ got a 300/300+ custom tune from BTRcc, and he had a misfire in cylinder 2 as well..Something went wrong with his motor since then.
I've read it all man. Trying to get through the next 3 years so I can dump this thing. Before it was a fun money pit. Now, it's just a straight up money pit......and a headache.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Tuned cars and cly# 2 issue

Oh and no, I didn't pull the plug today. I was so discouraged I parked it and took the bike out. Pisses me off because before the "update" car ran nice and strong. NGKs are gapped at .024, that should be sufficient I'd think...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Stock plugs are gapped at 0.028-0.032, so of course 0.024 would be better.. But 0.024 wasn't enough with TBE, so mine's closed to 0.020.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Stock plugs are gapped at 0.028-0.032, so of course 0.024 would be better.. But 0.024 wasn't enough with TBE, so mine's closed to 0.020.

Were you running NGK or stock?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Were you running NGK or stock?
I was running the NGKs. Pulled the plugs about an hour ago. #2 cylinders plugs had the ceramic piece broken and resting on the tip of the plug blocking any chance of spark. Densos are back in, napa did NOT have the NGKs. Ordering the HKS' from Sam.

·
Banned
2012 Kia Optima
1,870 Posts
The HKS will have the same problem....

The only ones that I've seen or heard of holding up to all of these shenanigans is the NGK R2556B-8 which of course I myself am running as well.

This is the reason that I bought so many sets of them for retail...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The only ones that I've seen or heard of holding up to all of these shenanigans is the NGK R2556B-8 which of course I myself am running as well.

well apparently the tuners in Korea from sterlin are using the HKS m45xl solely. They've had no issues thus far. That is what Sam from BTR told me. I'm not going to put NGKs back in when they've literally broken on me. I had my top end replaced at 20k miles without a tune, this leads me to believe that there may be underlying issues with my car? I have no idea. But I'm willing to spend the $130 on the HKS plugs if members here and else where are having success with them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just read on NAPA's site that the stock gap is .024 :thinking:
NAPA AUTO PARTS
Yea thanks that's what I said on the first page

Oh and no, I didn't pull the plug today. I was so discouraged I parked it and took the bike out. Pisses me off because before the "update" car ran nice and strong. NGKs are gapped at .024, that should be sufficient I'd think...

·
Banned
2012 Kia Optima
1,870 Posts
well apparently the tuners in Korea from sterlin are using the HKS m45xl solely. They've had no issues thus far. That is what Sam from BTR told me. I'm not going to put NGKs back in when they've literally broken on me. I had my top end replaced at 20k miles without a tune, this leads me to believe that there may be underlying issues with my car? I have no idea. But I'm willing to spend the $130 on the HKS plugs if members here and else where are having success with them.

The tuners in Korea are running into some of the same issues... Sam is very knowledgeable but apparently doesn't communicate as frequently with what is happening over seas.

The OE NGK's that you had are significantly different than the ones I am referring to. If you would, do some more homework as to the Racing Competition plugs and why they're designed the way that they are. You will understand the difference.

Please note, I have personal experience with Stock, HKS M40, and NGK R2556B. I have worked directly side by side with Sterlin. I watched BTR tune here in CA. The only person I have never spoken to is Jay from SFR. I have seen motors blow both stock plugs and HKS plugs and I will tell you right now that Sterlin preferred the NGK R2556B-8 plugs 100% over the HKS. They tuned 4 vehicles side by side. 3 had the NGK R2556B-8, and One had the HKS. I have seen heads replaced, blocks replaced, full motors replaced. Some with parts, some with none what so ever. Oh, and the HKS M45's are not necessary. Technically they're too cold of a plug for the amount of boost that these motors are being tuned to...

If there is anyone who is extremely experienced with this platform, tuning, exhausts, spark plugs, and what's happening with other vehicles around the country, it's me I PROMISE.

There are a lot of members here who can vouch for everything that I have said and have talked about. Most of the time it's behind closed doors for many specific reasons.

I talk to Richard (Sterlin F1) on the phone pretty frequently especially since i'm trying to organize their tour here in the US. ;)

·
Registered
736 Posts

I've been running NGK Racing Competition R2556B-8 Spark Plugs since 11/9/12, when I got my custom tune from Sterlin F1. I've had the ARK midpipe back exhaust the whole time with the tune and these spark plugs.

I've had ZERO problems with my car, engine, tune, etc... None of the broken ceramic spark plus, no blown engines/ heads, etc.. Not having to worry about spark plug gaps. These spark plugs get my seal of approval. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've said this many times on Turbosonata.com.

Yes, people over in Korea used to experience plugs blowing off in cylinder 2. That was awhile ago.

Pross makes 300/300+ and no one has problems with plugs anymore, even with HKS 40MXL, 45MXL, NGK 1422.

I asked this question on T-GDI Club, and that's the answer I got.

I'm sure our tune has to be adjusted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yea thanks that's what I said on the first page

Actually you mentioned on the first page that you set your gap on your NGK's for .024 (these maybe the same range as the stocks I just wanted to clarify for newbies like myself that search for these answers) I was posting because I was unclear to c2090's reference to the stock's being 0.028-0.032 and what I saw on the NAPA site. Thank you for clarifying.

1 - 20 of 217 Posts