Votes: 2 66.7%
  • '15 SX Turbo

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering buying a Kia but there are 2 options. Currently I have an '03 Jeep Liberty, over 193k mi, bought in 2014, love it but not the payments for the upkeep. Quick example, spent over 2k in repairs in one year. Now I am looking at something plenty more highway mpg friendly. The two options are '13 SXL and a '15 SX Turbo. I know horsepower is roughly the same but how much different are the 2? I am hesitant about buying a 7yr old vehicle due to having current and previous vehicles that were 10+yrs upon purchase. May I get some help in the decision making? Also there's a poll but additional info on your choice would be highly appreciated.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
29,079 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @WonderEyes

Both vehicles have the exact same engine and transmission, so the horsepower is identical. However, the SX-L model is my personal favorite as it looks better in my opinion.

I would recommend checking all of the recalls to see if everything has been performed and if there is any issues with the vehicle before purchasing, other than that, the choice is really up to you on which one you decide to go with.

Hope to see you around the forum with your Optima.

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,954 Posts
As above, but the cars will come with a lifetime engine warranty when/if all
updates have been done, not talking about recalls. The dealer will be able to
see if all have been done.
There is a Kia site where you can enter the vin to check.
The engines need all the help they can get so check it out.
Don't know what fuel mileage you're expecting, but the 2.0t is not a fuel miser.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thank you. The fuel mileage is significantly better for highway miles than what I have currently, which is 23. Thank you tho, I will definitely do the VIN search on the Kia site

·
Registered
466 Posts
Buy a hybrid Optima

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely looked, the price range was acceptable until I narrowed it for moon roofs. I do appreciate this tho

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
72 Posts
I would steer-clear of the Turbo model. Buy the other one. Just make sure the peep hole under the oil cap shows a relatively clean engine top - there aren't any floor or engine seal leaks after fully warmed and the trans is shifting smoothly fully warm.

Reactions: WonderEyes

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,954 Posts
I would steer-clear of the Turbo model. Buy the other one. Just make sure the peep hole under the oil cap shows a relatively clean engine top - there aren't any floor or engine seal leaks after fully warmed and the trans is shifting smoothly fully warm.
Both '13 SX and '15 SXL are turbocharged, and I have no idea why one would advise to stay away from the Turbo engine, except for the fuel mileage.
Here we go again, what evidence do you have that the Turbo is undesirable? I have both in the family and see no difference, other than the 274 HP Turbo model
is a real treat to drive, and by the way, both have had the engines replaced, '11 2.0T for oil consumption (172,000 miles), '17 2.4 engine seized (73,000 miles).

If one wants to drive with the masses, get the 2.4, if one wants to have fun along with the ability to add HP, get the Turbo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As above, but the cars will come with a lifetime engine warranty when/if all
updates have been done, not talking about recalls.
Can you elaborate? From what I read, this covers just GDI engines so the hybrids are not included. Correct?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts