Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 with 35xxx on it. I live in Ohio. As we know winter is basically here. Something I've noticed under cold start, I let the engine idle down then I drive off. Well it that cold period of about 20 seconds. The engine makes a rattle noise like it is coming apart. Could be the pistons or crank bearing and journals coming to size while it gains heat? I will be asking dealer tomorrow on this issue.

Now if I let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes their is zero rattle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That could be a number of things, from piston slap to valve train noise. A good 0W30 or 0W40 full synthetics will flow a lot better in the winter. It normal. My 05 GTO and 16 sxl do the same. When its cold out side take it easy on the engine for 10 min and you should be ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T
That could be a number of things, from piston slap to valve train noise. A good 0W30 or 0W40 full synthetics will flow a lot better in the winter. It normal. My 05 GTO and 16 sxl do the same. When its cold out side take it easy on the engine for 10 min and you should be ok.
That just doesn't sit right. My 2011 soul with 166xxx on it doesn't even have that issue.

I'm running 5w20 full synthetic in it now. Next oil change will be in the middle of winter and I'll switch to 0w30 full synthetic.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,320 Posts
Perhaps it's the rattling of the cam chain, which is lasting longer because the hydraulic tensioner is slow to engage. This can be caused by gunk limiting the oil flow into the tensioner.

I think you can try certain oil cleaning products to see if it loosens the gunk that might be restricting oil flow at the tensioner. Or put a new tensioner in.

Post a video clip so we can listen to the rattle to see if it's the cam chain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts