1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
02/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima SX
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY Chirp/Alarm Upgrade

WHAT YOU NEED:

Car Alarm Siren - I purchased this: Dei 514N Programmable 514L Soft Chirp Car Alarm 128nu llSir enN ewWo rnB | eBay, but theoretically, any 12V siren should work. This one is nice and loud, and has a bracket that happens to fit perfectly in the stock alarm horn location. Plus, at the time of this writing, it's only $15 shipped.

Here's what it looks like:

That's really it, depending on how you want to wire it up. If you want to do it like I did it, which retains the stock wiring harness completely, you'll need two red (preferably) spade fork wire connectors. They look like this:

To prepare them use clippers and cut off one of the tines of each "fork," or use pliers to bend one tine back and forth until it breaks off.

HOW TO DO IT:

The stock horn is located on the passenger side, attached by a bolt to the part of the chassis that covers the strut. Here's a picture of the stock location, followed by a close up:

As you can see, it's a small horn. I made an audio clip of the stock horn. You've heard it, so there's no point in listening to it, but it's here for comparison sake anyway:

http://images.mellette.net/optima/diy/alarm/MVI_5102.mp3

With my iPhone placed on the engine cover, using an application that measures sound in decibels, the stock horn alarm put out about 92db.

-----

Ok, so look at the stock horn closely, and you'll see it's only connected by 1 10mm bolt. Remove the bolt, disconnect the horn from its harness, and remove it from the car.

Now, you'll want to prepare the horn itself. You only need a few inches of wire, though it comes with several feet. I think I used about 8 inches, but give yourself as much as you need. You can always cut it shorter after you test fit it, but you'll have a hard time cutting it longer.

Once you determine how much wire you need, cut away the excess, and strip the ends of the two remaining wires (red and black.)

At this point, if you purchase the siren I linked, you'll need to decide whether or not to cut the black loop wire. If you don't, when the car "chirps" it does so with a reduced volume. If you cut the wire, it will not reduce the volume when it chirps. I think it's more "polite" to have a softer chirp, so I did not cut my wire.

Whatever you decide, now cover the entire wire, red, black, and black loop with a piece of tubular shrink wrap (if you have it) and heat it up. (Otherwise, use electrical tape, zip ties, or whatever you'd like to use to make it look like you want it to look.) Now, crimp one one-tined fork spade connector onto each wire. It now should look like this:

Next, mount the bracket of the siren through one hole of the bracket into the same location the stock 10mm bolt came from, using the same bolt, and tighten it up. You can orient it however you like, there's plenty of room. However, it's probably best to orient it with the siren down to keep it from collecting dust, water, bugs, or whatever else you might run into in your environment.

Now, push the tine into the stock horn harness, one in each side. Evidently, you do have to have the positive and negative in the correct slots. However, if you get it wrong, it won't break anything -- it just won't work. So if you put them in one way, and it doesn't work, swap them. It should be a snug fit. Use electrical tape to make the connection secure and waterproof. Finally, push the connector down and zip tie it to the factory wiring look immediately below it. (You can't miss it.)

WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE:

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE:

Alarm at the beginning, and "chirp" at the end:

http://images.mellette.net/optima/diy/alarm/MVI_5106.mp3

The new alarm registers 98db on the same app on the same phone in the same location as the stock horn. Every 3db is supposed to sound twice as loud to the human ear, so technically, this should sound 4 times as loud as the stock horn. To my ear, it's not quite *that* loud, but it definitely louder.

-----

So there you have it. A 15 minute, $15 mod that ANYONE can do. And I think it adds a touch of class to the Optima.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Cool, getting one... The one Im looking at says it has 6 Alarms tones & programmable? Its suppose to be the same one you got...

Been wanting to ditch the crappy alarm horn for a while...

·
Registered
2012 Kia "Winona"
167 Posts
^^^^this..(i usually wait until no ones around to lock my car) lol.. the horns just so puny :/ ..i purchased a set of sick speed horns a while back and they sounded just as crappy,.. def going to look into getting this. Great write up by the way! @RevDoc :thumbup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
02/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima SX
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, getting one... The one Im looking at says it has 6 Alarms tones & programmable? Its suppose to be the same one you got...

If it's the one I got, it's only programmable in that you can make the chirp louder by cutting the wire. There's a note on it that specifically says, "None of the six siren tones can be disabled." I think if it was hooked up to constant power, it might change tones 6 times before going back to the original. I'm not sure the car provides constant power to it though. Does that make sense?

·
Experience
712 Posts
Hope the horn has a drain hole...............

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If it's the one I got, it's only programmable in that you can make the chirp louder by cutting the wire. There's a note on it that specifically says, "None of the six siren tones can be disabled." I think if it was hooked up to constant power, it might change tones 6 times before going back to the original. I'm not sure the car provides constant power to it though. Does that make sense?
Yep, that makes sense I wonder if you let it stay on long enough if it would switch sounds? Ordering one now for $11.38 which makes it an even sweeter DIY...

·
Registered
2013 Optima
927 Posts
I would fire the siren down. When these are installed they should be installed down.

·
02/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima SX
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, that makes sense I wonder if you let it stay on long enough if it would switch sounds? Ordering one now for $11.38 which makes it an even sweeter DIY...
I was going to test it, but you know, the neighbors already give me dirty looks for testing my subs... =)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I would fire the siren down. When these are installed they should be installed down.
Exactly how im gonna do mine cause of the nameless FSTB... Looks like there still should be plenty o room with OPs updated Pics...

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Yes, plenty of room. I have a strut tower brace, too =) (It's just stealthy.)
Yep, noticed that... Yours just about 2" higher than ours...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great write up!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
It doesn't make any difference which wire goes into which slot.

HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!!

Just did this on my EX & it did matter which prong went into which slot, will take a pic... When it was reversed it did not work at all tried multiple times, nothing... Reversed prongs and bingo!

Also note there is a switch that must be pressed if u try to test this with the hood open right by the coolant tank, on the passenger side, or just shut the hood...

Here is how I had to wire our EX, the clip to remove the connector is on the north side in this pic...

·
02/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima SX
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Also note there is a switch that must be pressed if u try to test this with the hood open right by the coolant tank, on the passenger side, or just shut the hood...

Actually, if you press the panic button, the horn will go off whether the hood is open or closed (or the button is pressed). But you're right, if you want to hear it chirp with the hood up, you do have to press that button.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Actually, if you press the panic button, the horn will go off whether the hood is open or closed (or the button is pressed). But you're right, if you want to hear it chirp with the hood up, you do have to press that button.
[/COLOR]

Correct, forgot to mention that as I tried both when I had the wires backwards & nothing even with the button depressed... Also my webserver appears to be down at the moment so pic is not showing up... :(

Also my EX factory horn sat further forward due to the bracket being different than urs, but that doesnt really matter now... I did drill the hole out to 1/4" on the new Siren to make the bolt fit but also cause I had a tighter space to work with due to my nameless FSTB, was easier to drill it out a tad than try to crank on the bolt...

TY for this DIY!!

·
Registered
31 Posts

HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!!

Just did this on my EX & it did matter which prong went into which slot, will take a pic... When it was reversed it did not work at all tried multiple times, nothing... Reversed prongs and bingo!

Here is how I had to wire our EX, the clip to remove the connector is on the north side in this pic...

So is that a two spade connector with just one blade inserted into harness?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts