Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had the oil changed at my local Kia dealer about three weeks ago. I pulled the dipstick yesterday and found the oil level over one half inch ABOVE the full mark. Knowing that the owners manual warns against overfill I returned to the dealer and was told by the service writer not to worry, a little extra should cause no problems! For my peace of mind I asked that the oil level be made right and the tech who did the work told me that indeed it was overfilled, and he had drained off a little over 3/4 of a quart. I don't know the seriousness of such a mistake, but it does little to make one confident in dealership service.

·
Registered
2014 optima 2014 Optima SX
84 Posts
you need to double check all their work before you drive off the lot. The only reason i use the stealership is so my records can't be disputed. You could do your own but i already have had a new tranny put in under warranty at 10,000 miles so i pretty sure i'll have more coming and wont be taking any chances with the dreaded "We wont be covering that sense you didn't have the proper service done." song and dance kia dealerships like to play. $40.00 dollars every few months is nothing compared to the cost of an engine repair or tranny replacement.

·
Registered
2014 SX Turbo
162 Posts
40 bucks for an oil change, car wash/detail, and other small maintenance such as lubing the hinges, is a steal of a price in my opinion. All done in about 45 mins at the most. Plus, if you wait at the dealership, you get free coffee. :thumbsup:

Convenient and cheap. Changing your oil isn't hard, but it's inconvenient. Plus, like JP mentioned, I like having an official record so the dealership can't pull any fast ones on me.

Saying all of that, though, I do ensure to check over their work to ensure everything is good to go. Especially now that my car is starting to get modded quite heavily, I don't want them damaging anything/poking around to see how things are wired/hooked up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
2.0L uses 4L, where 2.4L uses 4.5L of lube, for me, its better to be in range, u made a right decision of draining it a little bit. i also would do the same to avoid anything that may cause problem,

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX
229 Posts
just as a side note: the dip stick is NOT an accurate measuring tool. It merely is an estimator. just keep that in the back of your head.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
just as a side note: the dip stick is NOT an accurate measuring tool. It merely is an estimator. just keep that in the back of your head.
The car was delivered with the oil level at the full mark on the stick, first oil change put the level square on the full mark, this oil change was 1/2 inch+ over the full mark. I'm convinced that there was indeed an overfill, and the removal of a bit more than 3/4 qt. of oil put it back on the full dot.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,625 Posts
But it can be very precise as long as you warm up the engine and let it wait to drain for the same 5 minutes each time you check the level.

The metal drain pan expands a bit when warm, affecting the level. And the oil is retained a bit in the engine and will drain into the pan over time. Wait too long and the pan will cool off and contract. Wait too little and the oil won't have time to pool into the pan enough.

But follow the recommended procedure the same way each time, and you should get good repeatable results.

·
Registered
2013 Kia SX
505 Posts
The theta engines take just under 5 quarts to fill them ...i throw the full 5 in mine and everyone elses at work and it usually is on the miney as far as being full.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2013 Kia Optima EX
7 Posts
Had the oil changed at my local Kia dealer about three weeks ago. I pulled the dipstick yesterday and found the oil level over one half inch ABOVE the full mark. Knowing that the owners manual warns against overfill I returned to the dealer and was told by the service writer not to worry, a little extra should cause no problems! For my peace of mind I asked that the oil level be made right and the tech who did the work told me that indeed it was overfilled, and he had drained off a little over 3/4 of a quart. I don't know the seriousness of such a mistake, but it does little to make one confident in dealership service.
I just had the same problem! I took my Kia Optima into the dealership for an engine recall and they changed the oil, filter and dipstick. They put in 6 quarts instead of the 4.86 quarts it call for! Then they said the new level is 5.2 quarts and not to worry about it. What a poor company when they let dealerships like this cause a poor image. I have called Customer Service twice and the dealership (including the General Manager) and they just don't care......no more Kia's for me.......

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,387 Posts
Really need to reply to a 6 year old thread, and as stated before, they charged you for 6 qts, but do you really believe they put 6 qts in? If so it would be way above full, and I mean way.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,387 Posts
I'd say yes and I would believe 500/600 mile p/qt would be the thresehold. You can always call Kia direct and explain to see if they'll give you a claim number to have the dealership check consumption. When I called, I said it was 400/500 miles p/qt. to which they immediately gave me the number, called dealership, they changed the oil/filter and when I went back 730 miles, it was down 2 qts. While they checked the car I went to lunch and when I returned, Kia authorized a replacement engine, loaner car, and I was on my way.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
319 Posts
Thanks for the information! I will definitely keep an eye on this. So is the oil actually burning off? I don't see any blue smoke except for a small amount on WOT.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Our 2011 2.4 EX (with an Orange dipstick) doesn't use any oil at all between changes. I use Mobil1 5w30 in the 5qt jugs and the last time I used 4.5 to get it to the line so I just used the whole 5.
No issues..... .

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
319 Posts
Thanks Turbo. Was expecting it to be like my 78' Buick Regal turbo. I could leave a smoke screen for miles back in the day..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts