Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima EX Premium Package
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a few repairs made on my car - the most massive repair was related to suspension because my car hadn't been running as smoothly as it did before. I have a 2013 Optima with only 64.5k miles on it. After I got my car back my check engine light turned on. It was on for a couple of days until finally it shut off. I didn't notice anything going wrong with my car when the light turned on.

Does anyone know why the check engine light would come on and then shut back off after about a day or two? Should this be something I need to worry about since my car is actually running well?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
The car can reveal why the check engine light came on, if it generates a code. You retrieve the code from the car, and look up the code, and that tells you what the problem is or was.

I'm not certain, but I think the car can experience temporary issues that resolve over time, so the light goes off. But often times the code is still stored, so you can check it.

Look into an OBDII reader. They make cheap ones you can use with a cell phone. Or, go to a local car parts store and ask them to scan your car, they will use their own reader to retrieve any codes. Personally I use an Android app called Torque, and a bluetooth OBDII dongle that I connect to my car. My cell phone uses bluetooth to talk to the OBDII dongle, and I run Torque on the phone to pull the code and see what the code means.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima EX Premium Package
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car can reveal why the check engine light came on, if it generates a code. You retrieve the code from the car, and look up the code, and that tells you what the problem is or was.

I'm not certain, but I think the car can experience temporary issues that resolve over time, so the light goes off. But often times the code is still stored, so you can check it.

Look into an OBDII reader. They make cheap ones you can use with a cell phone. Or, go to a local car parts store and ask them to scan your car, they will use their own reader to retrieve any codes. Personally I use an Android app called Torque, and a bluetooth OBDII dongle that I connect to my car. My cell phone uses bluetooth to talk to the OBDII dongle, and I run Torque on the phone to pull the code and see what the code means.
I"ll have to check this out. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Best to check the code-many local parts stores will read the code free.
Occasionally the evap system will set a cell after the gas cap is removed/reinstalled, code P045_.
Codes/light wil turn off after numerous cycles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts