Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 kia optima sxl turbo with about 130k miles. A couple of weeks ago the check engine light came on, and its ran like crap ever since. I've been told too many different things about what it could be and im ready to scream.. I took it to a kia dealership and they tell me it's the catalytic converter and for parts and labor it's gonna be $600... now my problem with that is that's almost too good to be true. Cuz if anyone has seen What simply scraping a converter brings- you'd agree that 600 is way off.... i love my car more than life itself and I'm beyond frazzled over the fact I can't get a proper diagnosis much less fixed... can anyone help me?!.!.!!??!

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
350 Posts
So what is the CEL code? If you don't have an odb2 reader, go to an autozone or like place, they'll read for Free.

The code is central to diagnosing.

But yes cats can be 'cheap'. My daughers prius' cat was stolen a couple months ago, cost all of $150 on amazon and 60 more to have a muffler guy install and Weld it into place.

Now if it really is a clogged cat, there is something pretty wrong with the engine to cause it. Cats should last the lifetime of the vehicle, normally.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
You should do your own check of what the car thinks is wrong with itself.

The car generates codes that explain why the check engine light is on. You need to retrieve the codes and see what they are.

You can visit a neighborhood auto parts store and the guys there should be able to help use their scanner to retrieve the codes from the car, free. Or you can buy a scanner. I have a $12 bluetooth scanner that talks to my phone, and my phone looks up the codes for me to explain what the codes mean.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts