Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2012 Kia Optima SX Turbo decided to go into limp mode on me. The check engine light started flashing on me, and whenever I would gas the vehicle it only went up to 2k rpms. I took it to CarMax since I have warranty on it, they had said they fixed the problem took it off the lot and the same thing happened shortly leaving. Do you guys think the Blow off valve sound plate has anything to do with it ?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
29,079 Posts
I can tell you that we have been selling the BOV sound plate for the 2011-2015 Kia Optima for almost 7 years now.

The BOV sound plate would NOT cause the engine to go into limp mode by itself.

Also, I think you answered your own question, because if they removed it, and you picked up your car and it did the same thing shortly after leaving, then you know it wasn't cause of that.

It's easy for these guys to look at your engine bay and find anything that doesn't look stock, and then blame that as the issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn’t removed, bov is still there. Thank you though. It’s being sent to a Kia Delaer now

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
29,079 Posts
It wasn’t removed, bov is still there. Thank you though. It’s being sent to a Kia Delaer now
Ahh ok gotcha, that's what I thought you were saying.

The thing is, Kia will blame any aftermarket parts as well. This can be removed and re-installed in 2 minutes.

So it would make sense to remove it first so that they can properly identify the issue, without just blaming the aftermarket part as the culprit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I understand. I kinda messed up on my end and sent it in without taking it off first so hoping for the best right now

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you get a P2565 code, it's the wastegate actuator. Just got done fixing mine. There are videos on YouTube that show how to to do it. Not too difficult - just need a 10mm wrench, 10mm socket and an electronic multi-tester.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my 2012 Kia Optima SX Turbo decided to go into limp mode on me. The check engine light started flashing on me, and whenever I would gas the vehicle it only went up to 2k rpms. I took it to CarMax since I have warranty on it, they had said they fixed the problem took it off the lot and the same thing happened shortly leaving. Do you guys think the Blow off valve sound plate has anything to do with it ?
Mine did the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they said they fixed it as well. They said if it did it again, the actuator would need replaced. Well, it did it again. I read online that the problem was most likely the position sensor was reading the wrong voltage. So, I hooked I volt meter up to the appropriate wire and adjusted the actuator linkage until it read the correct voltage. It has been fine now for 4 years. Dealerships are thieves. You should be able to google the solution. I just pierced the correct wire with a sharp pen and hooked my voltmeter to that. The article should tell you the correct wire and voltage it should read. It’s pretty simple. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you get a P2565 code, it's the wastegate actuator. Just got done fixing mine. There are videos on YouTube that show how to to do it. Not too difficult - just need a 10mm wrench, 10mm socket and an electronic multi-tester.
Thank you. I guess Kia is actually taking care of the engine. Getting a new one dropped in. Should be done later this week or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts