Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am having an issue with my 2016 Optima where the check brake lights alert still shows.

I have read that if there is no resistance or resistors built into them, this alert will not go away.

My question is, what do I need to buy and how do I install it, in order to make my Optima recognize the new LEDs as valid?

Thank you for any help provided! 馃

Registered
2013 Optima ex turbo
Id recommend getting an LED resistor kit. They sell them on amazon and that way you do not need to splice the wires. Just search the bulb type IE 1157 resistor kit and you should see a plug and play option. That being said you could probably save a couple of bucks and just buy the resistor and splice it in if you're confident doing that.

Cheers.

Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
Hello,

I am having an issue with my 2016 Optima where the check brake lights alert still shows.

I have read that if there is no resistance or resistors built into them, this alert will not go away.

My question is, what do I need to buy and how do I install it, in order to make my Optima recognize the new LEDs as valid?

Thank you for any help provided! 馃
Unfortunately, you cannot change the actual brake light bulbs on an Optima with Standard incandescent lightbulbs, as you will always have this check engine light on your dashboard mentioning the bulbs. Also, your cruise control will not function properly. This is the exact reason why we have never offered LED bulbs for the brake lights. You can change the turn signal bulbs, license plate bulbs, reverse lights, fog lights, even the headlights, but you cannot mess with the brake light bulbs themselves.

I know that鈥檚 probably not what you wanted to hear, but we messed with it 1 million different ways and nothing will work to make it go away. FYI load resistors are only designed for bulbs that blink, like turn signals, they are not designed for something like this and will not work as far as I know.

Id recommend getting an LED resistor kit. They sell them on amazon and that way you do not need to splice the wires. Just search the bulb type IE 1157 resistor kit and you should see a plug and play option. That being said you could probably save a couple of bucks and just buy the resistor and splice it in if you're confident doing that.

Cheers.
If this was for his turn signal bulbs, this would be a great recommendation, although we carry load resistors on our website as well. Unfortunately, he is not referring to the turn signal bulbs, but rather the brake light bulbs, which would not help with the load resistor kit that you are referring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts