Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Premium Touring Package. SWP
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't driven these but 312 miles so far, but if anyone is in a financial strain and needing tires you might want to check these out. Immediately after having them installed I headed to the mountain to try them on some roads I enjoy. My intent was to take it kinda easy on them til broken in but they begged for more until I was pushing them hard. Part of the time I was in rain and they stuck fine. It's been raining hard all day today and I've been pushing them a little bit all day. So far they haven't felt the least bit like they were anywhere near their traction limit in wet or dry.
Federal SS 595 in 235/45/18 94V 240AAA . I'm hoping to get close to 20,000 miles out of them, If I get 15,000 and they continue to perform like they have been so far I will most likely buy another set . Ordered them from Walmart, tax and fees came to $336.34 delivered to my house. Took them to a local shop where he charged me $50 to mount and balance the four.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Federal-...m-msg-id=6682bb03-3edb-49a1-a47f-6c7d52e2178f

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just rotated my tires this morning and thought I would give an update on them. I still love the way the car rides and handles on Them. I was a little late on rotation from what I had intended, planned to rotate at 3000 but was at 3526 today. Pictures showing my tread depth gauge were too fuzzy to read gauge. Both tires that started on front had even wear and were at 5mm of tread depth. Both that started on back had even wear at 7mm of tread depth. Tires started with 9mm tread depth so fronts are wearing at twice rate of rear. I have been checking and adjusting air pressure once a week. I have been running them at 33 psi cold. I do drive my car pretty spirited (hard), but not like I stole it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,597 Posts
Only item I can add is if 9mm when new, and fronts are now at 5mm with 3526 miles, looks like when the rears are placed on the front at 7mm, they will be down to replacement @ 2mm in another 4407 miles. Total miles 7933 miles.
At least you're giving good feedback on the tires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only item I can add is if 9mm when new, and fronts are now at 5mm with 3526 miles, looks like when the rears are placed on the front at 7mm, they will be down to replacement @ 2mm in another 4407 miles. Total miles 7933 miles.
At least you're giving good feedback on the tires.
I Know I have been pondering what my plans need to be. I'm going to have to sit down and do some math on different scenarios and start researching tires again. I really enjoy how sticky they are and the response of them. When I was riding motorcycles( crotch rockets) a lot I loved a set of sticky tires on them. Many years I would go through two sets a year on them

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
I had a lot of fun when I used these same Federal tires, where you could enjoy the curved exits/on ramps especially cloverleafs. But I found I could have slightly less fun with my current Hankook Optimo H727 tires, which have a 100K mile warranty so they should last almost triple the mileage as the Federals, so save lots of money and time by not needing to change as frequently.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a lot of fun when I used these same Federal tires, where you could enjoy the curved exits/on ramps especially cloverleafs. But I found I could have slightly less fun with my current Hankook Optimo H727 tires, which have a 100K mile warranty so they should last almost triple the mileage as the Federals, so save lots of money and time by not needing to change as frequently.
Yeah I live in a rural area with mountains, valleys and lots of curves. Thanks for the info on the Hankook tires . I've got to find something that gets a little better miles

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't seen Federal tires in years. I remember a friend of mine putting those on his old Civic back in the last 1990's. They didn't last very long.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
261 Posts
I upgraded to 19" wheels earlier this year and went with the Yokohama ADVAN V105 sport. Treadwear is 260AAA, similar to these. I've only got 1500 miles on them so far, but road noise is comparable to the stock tires but WAY stickier. Rolling on the throttle hard in 2nd no longer spins the tires...it just goes. Cornering is also vastly improved. Tire Rack had them for $93/tire and Discount Tire matched that price.

At roughly 1000 miles I measured tread depth across the tires and adjusted air pressure accordingly to attempt to get the outsides and center to all wear the same. 45psi front, 42psi rear. Durometer of these is 73-75.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm currently looking for tire and wheel packages online. I'm not sure yet on the wheels but I'm now decided to get the Continental DWS06 because of the recommendation of my brother, and this tire has a 560AAA UTQG rating so I know it has a decent tread life.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for posting. I actually just put on some 19" wheels (8.5 wide) with Federal Evolution ST-1. 235/40, they seem to have a little extra meat on them which is what i've read about the 595s. So far so good but i've had them on for less than 100 miles. Good traction and quiet. I'll provide an update as i put some more miles on them but so far i'm satisfied.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
261 Posts
Pardson, those Conti's with 560 treadwear are not going to be sticky. The stock tires on my SX-T were 440 treadwear and they spun through 1st and into 2nd at will. This 260 treadwear Yoko's are sticky and don't spin in 2nd at all.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
I'm guessing that in pardson's case traction isn't the top concern on his wishlist when it comes to what kind of tires to get, given that in his reply he mentions that the Conti tires he's looking at have "decent tread life", thus implying he's more focused on treadwear--I'll presume that he is aware that a tire with a 560 rating ain't gonna have exemplary traction compared to say, a tire with a 260 rating.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SX-T
71 Posts
my current Hankook Optimo H727 tires, which have a 100K mile warranty
I didn't know tires came with that kind of warranty! I just replaced mine with 60k tires but I never get near the ratings on tires. I guess roads around here are just too rough. My car came with some Antares Ingen tires and they weren't bad. Surprised me a little but they royally sucked in rain or snow. But for a less expensive tire I didn't think they were bad at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having the perfect tires is crucial when driving, so it is a must to purchase the best tires out there for your car. But during this pandemic, we have to adjust our budget. I want to share with everyone that I got my wheel and tire packages on 4WheelOnline. They are offering reasonable prices that you might get one for yourself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Having the perfect tires is crucial when driving
There are no perfect tires. You always have to make compromises therefore you have to decide what you want most in a tire and what you are willing to give up some of in order to get the properties you value the most. I can't have a super sticky tire that gets high mileage, the two properties are in direct conflict with each other. A decision has to be made about how much sticky you give up for how much mileage you gain

1 - 18 of 18 Posts