Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2012 kia optima 2.4L needs a new starter and they are so much cheaper online versus local stores.
I know they are remanned but as long as it works I'm good.
Has anyone ever bought a cheap kia optima starter off eBay or Hexautoparts with good luck?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
I would assume the old adage, you get what you pay for would be appropriate in this case as a
"new" starter, shipped, for $39.90, is one I'd stay away from. From what I see, their warranty is for 14 days after receipt if DOA. I'm always one that looks for a bargain, but have found that even the aftermarket parts store cheap, lifetime warranty starters are junk.
Know it's a far cry from $39.90 but RockAuto has a new, lifetime starter $102 + shipping.
Choose wisely.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
why not rebuild your old one with dealer brushes?
There's more to it than just the brushes. How about the solenoid and the starter
lever is a weak point as some break, then cleaning and installing parts, but just to
give an idea of cost, the factory brush holder $73 list, solenoid $106, lever $16, starter
drive $87. A replacement starter with lifetime warranty can be had for @ $100 while
an unit from Kia $242.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
  • the warranty states MINIMUM of 12 months, so more than a year.
Now we've got to make a decision, (1) OEM starter for $160 with a 12 month warranty, or (2) new aftermarket starter for $99 with lifetime warranty, let me see, I'll take door number 2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts