Kia Optima Forums banner

Changing out headlight bulbs?? PITA!!!!

16K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Unit ZER0 
#1 ·
Is it just me or does it seem like changing out headlights bulbs are a pain in the a--!!! I can hardly fit my hand into the small opening to change the bulb....anyone else have this problem? Suggested solutions? Taking the front bumper off is a pain specifically cause of the 2-3 bolts right under the headlight that have to be removed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Yes, it is a PITA. I hate that you have to take the bumper off just to change bulbs...but unfortunately a lot of car manufacturers are taking this route.

But taking off the bumper is actually a lot easier than you think. You don't need to take out any bolts under the headlight to remove the front bumper. There's some plastic screws and a few 10MM bolts underneath to remove the splash shield, a screw inside of each wheel well, and then the screws on the top right behind the grill.

Check this out: http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/6...modifications/28465-front-bumper-removal.html

#3 ·
These are the 3 bolts under the headlight that I was referring too. Nappydrew mentions them at the 7:30 mark and then shows what the threads look like at 9:39.

Munky, Are you telling me you don't remove these bolts before pulling the front bumper off? It always takes me half an hour to get all 6 nuts off cause there just isn't that much space to work around and my arms get tired

#5 ·
Gotcha....I see what you mean now. Apparently this pull method requires me wedging a flat head screwdriver and lifting that "metal clip". I do recall seeing that metal clip. I'll try it next time. Thx for the tip.

#6 ·
Its easier to remove all three per side; you can get in there with a socket wrench easy enough. Its tight but you just reach in your arm, loosen the nuts and remove with your fingers. But when you put it back on, ONLY put on the two nuts, leaving the furthest to the middle one alone. It'll be easier next time you remove the bumper (and you will!). GL.

#7 ·
I think we have the same model bro, on our hybrid there is no screw inside that bumper that needs to come off like in the video before pulling out our hybrid bumper, just pull it slowly coz the metal clips are holding our bumper, then when you got the bumper out there is no screws holding our headlights, just some plastic clips again. i will look into my pictures if i got some to show ya. but yeah theres a diff on our bumper compare to regular optimas. when you got it out you will see what im talking about ;)

#8 ·
@Jason. I don't know man. Reaching in there with one arm is fairly easy but my problem is I predominately use my right hand/arm for everything. So anytime its "easier" to use solely my left hand/arm I struggle pretty bad because its seldomly used, lol. But I suck it up and get err done!!! I wish I was more ambidextrous though!!

@Triple. We have the exact same make model and year and my car DEFINITELY has the screws on the inside of the video just like the video shows. I will try the pull-up method next time. I wont tug too hard tho, I don't want a ripped bumper. Worst case scenario, those **** nuts have to come off. I went from taking 2 hours to down to half an hour to get the bumper off so I'm getting better at it......:thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions fellas!:cool:

#9 ·
Look what i found :D Here is a pic of the area they telling about the screw that holds the bumper, this is the actual photo after i pulled the bumper, so there was no screws or bolts underneath the headlights thats keeping the bumper to come off on my 2012 Hybrid..

#10 ·
^^ Im positive that those 3 bolts that's right beside the harness in the picture are the ones holding the bumper together, some members take those off prior to taking the off bumper to make it more easier. I'm sure all of our Optimas have the same 3 bolts on each side whether it's a Hybrid or not. You just happen to take off your bumper and it came out easy that's all LOL, but I am sure those are the bolts though :) Unless I'm blind lol.

#11 ·
Triple,

Those 2 nuts that are to the right of the strand of yellow/green/blue/red/black wires were NOT holding the front bumper to the frame of the car???

#12 · (Edited)
Triple,
Those 2 nuts that are to the right of the strand of yellow/green/blue/red/black wires were NOT holding the front bumper to the frame of the car???
No bro, nothing holding the bumper from the frame. (ON MY HYBRID)
i didnt touch any screws like in the video when taking off my bumper,
here's another angle for you fellas.

[URL=http://s892.photobucket.com/user/buzaiku/media/2012%20Hybrid%20DIY/11753683_10153135580023650_485828491340015_n.jpg.html]

[/URL]

#13 ·
Well since I plan on taking my bumper off in an hour to install headlight bulbs I'll be sure and take pictures as well to document any changes, if any......

#15 ·
I just seen a video yesterday that does confirm that I can remove the washer fluid for access to the passenger side bulb. But there are hybrid components that block the driver side in addition to the fuse box. See pics I took this morning.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.