Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Recently popped a CEL with P0455 code. Bought new gas cap from Kia dealer and light stayed on. Brought car in to dealership last week. They did a smoke test and said I had a leak from the charcoal canister. Replaced at $340. New canister, problem fixed according to them. Well guess what check engine light popped on again tonight. (5 days later) Will scan tomorrow but I am guessing it will be the same code. I know these EVAP codes are tricky but did I spend $340 for nothing? They assured me the charcoal canister was the problem. I do not want them to just start throwing more parts at it when they already said they repaired it. Frustrated.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,574 Posts
Don't know how many miles are on the car, but if under 80,000 it should be covered by the 8 year 80,000 mile emission warranty, so check the warranty booklet.
If over the mileage, and the same code, I'd say the diagnosis was incorrect and the $340 spent did nothing, so would believe that the stealership has warranty on work performed, so back to the for correction.
I've seen the P0455 come up many times, even with our '11 2.0T, years ago, first time I replaced the cap, easy fix, but it came up again, just removed and replaced the cap, fine, but after a period of time for no apparent reason the code will come up maybe 2 days after a fillup, but haven't seen it in maybe 3 months, but after I write this, it will come up today.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.. My car has 124,000 on it. Had the ECU upgrade done a few months back. Scanned it today. Same code. The thing that gets me is they said they did a smoke test and saw the leak. Says this on my paperwork also. Also says that after they replaced the charcoal canister no more leak. Going to call them again right now.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,574 Posts
Just remember they ain't in business and making a lot of money because they're honest.
Don't mean to disparage all dealerships, but in my experience, even when all proof is against them, they never seem to ever admit that they were wrong.

At the end of last year, terrible experience with a dealership after engine replacement, went through Service Mgr, Corporate Service Mgr., then the owner's daughter V.P. who finally got it straightened out, but would never step foot in the dealership again. This family has 25 dealerships, 18 different brands, and the dim-witted people at the dealership still try and pull the wool over people's eyes.

Stand your ground as $340 isn't chump change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts