Kia Optima Forums banner

Catch can install turns into check engine light.

[DIY] : 
5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  brett_c1 
#1 ·
Hello I recently purchased and installed the new add w1 version 3 which has two inlets and a single outlet for my 2013 Kia Optima SXL with the 2.0 turbo. Morning after the install I had a check engine light pop which came back with codes “P0106 + P0605”. I understand I do not have the correct pressures however I am trying to figure out exactly how I go about fixing this issue. The kit also came with a “breather valve” and two check valves which I see direct air in a single direction which upon purchasing I was unaware I was to use in this install however it seems I either did not connect correctly or possibly this catch can isnt what I need. Which would be highly unfortunate because i chose the more expensive option due to the claim that “it eliminates the need for two separate catch cans.” Please advise if possible thank you!

#2 ·
Can we assume that you followed the install instructions that came with the kit down to a "T"...or did the kit even include any printed instructions? I ask because there are two different sets of the V3.3 installation instruction--the "old" one just shows a cheesy (IMHO) simple diagram showing where the hoses are connected, whereas the "new" one is much more detailed and also includes instructions on where the check valves are installed and which direction they need to be pointed towards.

That you admitted that you were unaware that you were supposed to use the check valves leads me to think that your kit came with the old instructions (or none included at all) since if it actually did come with the updated/newer instructions, then there's no way you would have been unaware of the check valves' usage.

As for whether it's worthwhile to use an OCC like the V3.3 vs. a two-OCC setup--I suppose the jury is still out on that; if you're not wanting to drive your car hard (i.e., in the higher RPM bands) on a fairly regular basis, then the V3.3 (or even the two-OCC setup) is a waste of money IMHO, and you'd be better off just going with a reputable (not all OCCs are engineered equally) single one-in/one-out OCC. I can say this because I originally ran the ADD V3 OCC and it never did collect nearly as much blowby compared to what I've seen other folks have reported, but that's because I don't drive my car really hard--heck even the ADD support rep has admitted just as much when it comes to the amount of blowby that can be expected to be collected by the OCC.

#3 ·
Did the kit even include any printed instructions? I ask because there are two different sets of the V3.3 installation instruction--the "old" one just shows a cheesy (IMHO) simple diagram showing where the hoses are connected, whereas the "new" one is much more detailed and also includes instructions on where the check valves are installed and which direction they need to be pointed towards.
I don't think anyone is selling this kit without instructions, and there shouldn't be two different versions still actively circulating around. There was an original set of instructions printed at one point in time, and once those were updated, the new instructions are what should be shipping out with each order. At one point in time the kit was not vehicle specific and did not include check valves or a breather filter. Once that was added, the instructions were updated.

#4 ·
David--agree with your comments regarding the instructions, which is why IMHO it seems puzzling that OP hadn't/didn't realize that he needed to use the check valves. Is there more than one version of the "updated" instructions? I ask because the instructions that came with my kit show a picture of a 4th-gen Optima engine compartment/layout which is clearly not the same exact layout as that of a 2013 Optima (I might be wrong here). Not a showstopper since the only difference between the two engine layouts is the location of the valve cover breather port.

#5 ·
The V3.3 is not sold with different instructions for the 2011-2013, 2014-2015, or 2016-2020 Optima. The same instructions are provided from the manufacturer on all ADD W1 V3.3 catch cans for the Kia Optima. Also, it wasn't until the 3rd or 4th quarter of last year that the V3.3 was sold as a vehicle specific catch can with check valves and a breather filter, prior to that, the kit did not include those additional components inside of the box, and therefore the instructions were different at that time. I suspect that some members that have commented in some of the forum threads, might have purchased the catch can last year before it was made into the vehicle specific kit we sell today that includes the additional components.

#10 ·
thank you guys for responding! The set of instructions i received in the package was two sided and one of the sides had a diagram of the can itself which had the check valves labeled as " optional " and that is what confused me initially..

UPDATE : everything is connected according to the instructions now with the valves in the correct place, EXCEPT for one hose which raises a question...
Is it possible to leave the stock hose you pull off of the PCV that attaches underneath the manifold? This hose seems difficult to remove without removing the manifold cover, however I will do if i must. The stock hose end i believe is a 9mm on the PCV end. The size of the fitting on the can is the same diameter as the check valve and larger hoses. Would use of a connector off of that line be out of the question, to go from the smaller to larger hose? Would that be too much of a restriction as far as my vacuum goes? I am not even sure what size that PCV hose is on the oppposite end but if the new hoses that came with the kit suggest it is a larger diameter 12-13mm line...

I am getting back to connect her all up before the weekend after an oil change and spark plugs as well as installing the Injen intake on friday so will post again when we get back on track!
I thank you all for your help.

#12 · (Edited)
UPDATE : everything is connected according to the instructions now with the valves in the correct place, EXCEPT for one hose which raises a question...
Is it possible to leave the stock hose you pull off of the PCV that attaches underneath the manifold? This hose seems difficult to remove without removing the manifold cover, however I will do if i must. The stock hose end i believe is a 9mm on the PCV end. The size of the fitting on the can is the same diameter as the check valve and larger hoses. Would use of a connector off of that line be out of the question, to go from the smaller to larger hose? Would that be too much of a restriction as far as my vacuum goes? I am not even sure what size that PCV hose is on the oppposite end but if the new hoses that came with the kit suggest it is a larger diameter 12-13mm line...
I simply (re)used--i.e., repurposed--the factory PCV to intake manifold hose for my OCC to intake manifold connection. I would think that the V3.3 kit (for Optima) would have come with at least one 9mm fitting; in any case I had no issues clamping the hoses onto the OCC fittings (i.e., the OCC fittings were neither too big nor too small); however, the factory fitting on the air intake was of a smaller diameter than that of the ADD-supplied large diameter hose used to connect OCC and air intake port so I had to crank a few more turns out of that worm clamp to get the hose to stay secured to the air intake port.

#11 ·
Ok I'm probably beating a dead horse here but in any case:

- I did not mean to imply that the V3.3 is sold with different sets of instructions but rather that during the V3.3 lifecycle there have been at least two different sets (i.e, versions) of instructions...and now there appears to be a third version--more about that in a moment. I was merely trying to understand how OP did not realize what the check valves were for.

This one (which BTW was the one I saw on the K5OS site back in 2018 when I was first researching OCCs):
"Old" V3.3 install diagram

And this one which was in the V3.3 kit I purchased back in December 2019:
Newer V3.3 install diagram

And now if what Thefreshbatch said in post #10 is indeed accurate ("The set of instructions i received in the package was two sided..."), then apparently there is now a third revision of the V3.3 install diagram, as the one that was included in the kit I purchased (the "Newer V3.3 install diagram") is one-sided.

Just so that we're on the same page--I NEVER stated that the V3.3 comes with more than one set of instructions/diagrams, only that there have been at least two (and now three) different versions of instructions.

And if I really wanted to get on ADD's case when it comes to the V3.3 OCC--why the radical change in installation from the "Old" instructions which show the hose that goes to the intake manifold being plugged and a connection between OCC and valve cover breather port, to the "New" instructions which now incorporate two check valves and now it's the valve cover breather port that is "capped" with a breather filter? If I were an ADD V3.3 owner who installed it under the "Old" instructions--i.e., before the "new" V3.3 kit with the check valves became available, I'd be asking the same question as well...

#14 ·
Hmmm that seems weird--my kit came with two small and one large fittings, and one small-diameter and one large-diameter check valve. I reused my factory PCV to intake manifold hose and clamped the small-diameter check valve inline with a smaller length of the supplied small-diameter hose; the included larger-diameter hose I used to make the connection between OCC and air intake, and clamped the larger-diameter check valve inline here. IOW I didn't have any sizing issues when it came to clamping the various hoses to the OCC fittings and check valves.

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Fuel line

#16 ·
I'm sure David at K5OS can make things right as far as the kit apparently not containing the required/correct parts, or even better you can ping ADD direct at their email address sales@addw1. They took care of me when I told them about how the included large-diameter hose was not quite long enough and as such I had a hard time routing the hose in such a way so as to still be able to properly secure the engine cover--they sent me a longer-length hose at no cost to me and now everything's installed nice and neat.

#17 ·
I'm having same issues. I emailed the manufacturer and got this as a response, "
Single port with the 9mm fitting going to the engine PCV Valve
Dual ports with the 15mm fitting with check valve going to the intake manifold ( Check valve point away from catch can )
Dual ports with the 15mm fitting with check valve going to the Air Filter intake ( Check valve point away from catch can )"

Was confused as well because it saying to use the 15mm hose to the intake which I'm fairly certain is 9mm isnt it? But anyways the above instructions are how the manufacturer intended

#18 ·
Hmmm I'm pretty sure that my kit came with two 9mm and one 15mm fittings, as well as one 9mm and one 15mm check valve. I think sometimes even the ADD guy can get a bit confused about which product he's talking about at any given time--LOL j/k.

So are the two check valves that were included in your kit package each the same size diameter?

#19 ·
Sorry for the late update...

SO, everything is good now all upgrades including the OCC are properly connected.
My kit came with two 15mm fittings and one 9mm fitting. I replaced all the stock hoses with the hoses in kit. (The stock hose is 9mm on the PCV end and 15mm under the manifold side)
Upon installation, i remained with the code P0106. I then unbolted and removed my MAP sensor from the top of the manifold and gave it a good cleaning and check engine light went away.

The manufacturer's response about this issue was... laughable, but i got through it. Copied below...

ADD W1

Hi marcus,

Thank you for contacting us.

The OEM hose from intake manifold. It need to replace the 15mm hose yhaa as t vome woohoo the kit. The intake manifold port itself is 15mm.

Thank you
Jack

Anyone have any further info on how to "woohoo the kit" please let me know it sound like a fun upgrade. :LOL:
THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP AND INPUT GUYS! (including "Jack")

#21 ·
Pics of it all connected and my MAP Sensor after running the engine w/o the OCC properly installed... runs better than ever now. While it was off the road I replaced and upgraded my plugs, did an oil change(5w 40), cleaned my throttle body and added a spacer, and of course dropped in the Injen intake. I also was fortunate enough to get a great deal on the Lap 3 uncle chip but that will wait until I do some more research....

Also if anyone buys the throttle body spacer from the K5 Optima store I highly recommend you buy your own bolts because the ones in the kit you need an Allen key to tighten and the two bolts in the front are seemingly too long about 1cm or so and as they thread they start to push against the intake manifold creating a gap.

Attachments

#22 ·
  • Haha I'm not sure how to woohoo the kit but ya, my kit came with two 15mm fittings and one 9mm fitting and two 15mm check valves. The manufacturer told me the hose from the manifold is meant to be replaced with the 15mm one. I suggested to him to update his kit with two smaller fittings and re use the oem manifold hose because it may not be possible to replace that manifold hose without removing the manifold itself. He told me he has some customers that have re used it and offered to send me the fittings i would need to do so at no cost. I figured I'll give it one good try to get in there and get that hose replaced without taking off the intake manifold and if I cant I will just tale him up on his offer of sending me new fittings.
Here's his email,

"Hi Dain,

Thank you for contacting us for the feedback. We tested both and we had better results with a 15mm hose directly from the intake manifold.
For the 2015 optima you should be able to remove the OEM hose from the side of the intake manifold without removing the intake manifold.

I do have people set up as used the OEM hose but we recommend to replace the OEM hose.
Please see both photos attached with OEM and without OEM hose.
If you want to set up with the OEM hose. we can send the fitting at no extra cost to you

Thank you
Jack"

#23 ·
Hey, I’m having the same exact issue with this product… I had to also go through with removing that pcv house tucked underneath…it was a PITA. Anyway, install went smooth but then the CEL came on a couple days after outputting a high idle code. I see you said you removed the map sensor and cleaned it. Can you elaborate what that is and how you did that? Thank you! If anyone else has any ideas on what it could be let me know! I think it’s a vacuum leak since that what often leads to high idle. The manufacturer is supposed to be mailing me new check valves to hopefully fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.